Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PFD

+1

Question PFD

So I have been doing some pre-season prep...on my "to-buy" list is a new life jacket.

I looked at the Kawi OEM vests along with a couple other brands. Just not sure what to look for?

I had a cheap Obrien vest last year (first year riding) and def want to get something better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pgh300x View Post
    So I have been doing some pre-season prep...on my "to-buy" list is a new life jacket.

I looked at the Kawi OEM vests along with a couple other brands. Just not sure what to look for?

I had a cheap Obrien vest last year (first year riding) and def want to get something better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Offshore_Gear_Review.html

Banned User
    +1
    Force6.com

+1
    Well, I'm no expert, but both of the links above show zippered PFDs with 1 or 2 buckles. I did a face plant years ago while wearing a zippered PFD an it completely unzipped and came off. No more zippered PFDs for me! 4 buckles, baby!

Banned User
    +1
    Cheap vest will come apart.like the one you where wearing many are only rated for very low speeds. marks vest is Made for offshore power boat racers the force6 is for SAR both are way over Rated for what we do and will not come apart. Do your research before you comment. FYI my force 6has 3 buckles plus zippers. It ain't coming apart.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    JetPilot

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    . Do your research before you comment. FYI my force 6has 3 buckles plus zippers. It ain't coming apart.
    Well, I looked at the links before I posted. Several PFDs shown only had one buckle, which I have found to be inadequate. Why would I want a swift water rescue PFD for riding? Guess the reflective tape could come in handy, along with the pouch on the front... The LifeLine jacket isn't USCG approved, our lake patrol would give you a ticket for wearing it.

Rather than being a smart ass, why don't you tell us which one you have?

Banned User
    +1
    I actually told you what i had that's why I posted force6 I have the instructor or instructor 2 is the same vest basically. See the picture below this is how we ride here well most fully kitted out. Some of the advantages Of the force6 is it has very. Thick flotation that will absorb just about any impact you throw at it. It will float more then just yourself in a emergency situation. And on and on. I used to wear other types. Of vest before I cared about safety that's the reason that me and many others now wear this vest. End of the day make your own choice and what you think is best for you. But when u ask for advice be willing to take it. Good luck with your search.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327638048.846899.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	262712  

+1
    Thank you, Fire. That's what I want to know, specifics about each one; what makes it better/worse.

I think the Lifelines are probably gold standard for racing or most advanced recreation. Look sharp too. I think its also true that they may not be CG approved in all applications. But, its not entirely rational. I cannot imagine law enforcement in my locality stopping or citing for use of gear that is arguably much better than standard for high speed ejection. Its been a while since I researched it. I went with Mustang vest, supposedly rated at 100mph. Main things I like are high collar, zip + straps, high visibility orange (helps in fog & low light), plus inside pocket. Dont know about the 100mph. 50 or 60, I can vouch for! Big advantage of lifeline are those leg straps. They keep vest from riding up in water while floating. That can be an issue if, like me, you have to buy XXL to fit over multiple layers, but maybe sometimes ride with 1 layer. Not clear if lifelines have collar. I think if I wore full coverage helmet, Id want collar. Mustang is very comfortable and that collar helps me seal up for warmth. But, maybe too soft for some to use with full coverage helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information