Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1997 Kawi 750 super sport xi thoughts?

Hey guys i just got this recently for $500. It starts up fine, gauges work to my knowledge. Any mods or parts i should check or replace on this thing? Any routine maintenance that i should do other than winterizing the motor which i already did? thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski 2.jpg 
Views:	1663 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	262679

+1
    Replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose and secure them properly with stainless steel safety wire. The old hoses are probably brittle and might even crack or fall off.

Also, the engine probably has a crankcase drain on the lower left side. Look for a round, silver knob on the exhaust pipe. If you flip the 'Ski and get water in the engine, you pull the knob to drain it. Unfortunately, the drain valves tend to leak, which will cause the engine to run lean and burn it up. Most people here would recommend removing the valve and installing a block-off plate. You have to pull the engine to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose and secure them properly with stainless steel safety wire. The old hoses are probably brittle and might even crack or fall off.

Also, the engine probably has a crankcase drain on the lower left side. Look for a round, silver knob on the exhaust pipe. If you flip the 'Ski and get water in the engine, you pull the knob to drain it. Unfortunately, the drain valves tend to leak, which will cause the engine to run lean and burn it up. Most people here would recommend removing the valve and installing a block-off plate. You have to pull the engine to do this.
    Thanks Steve! You know when i bought it i had a plan to replace all hoses on the ski and after looking it over everything looked to be in very good order. None of the hoses were dried out or cracked. You still think its a good idea to replace those? Any other preventative maintenance you would suggest? i did clean the motor bay up and coat it in some wd 40 so nothing would rust..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxnoah418 View Post
    None of the hoses were dried out or cracked. You still think its a good idea to replace those?
    Absolutely! They almost 15 years old, and a failure will burn up your engine. You'll have to pre-fill the hoses, and bleed the pump. When you start working on it, we can walk you through it. It's not hard.

Okay awesome! I wi definitely do that then! I'll measure what I need and let you know when I'm ready to install!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

Hey Steve, I just put a block off plate and I didn't remove engine from ski. Had to remove a number of things but it stayed in ski.

Is it really nessesary to use a block off plate? Because after you do that you can't use that valve to clear any water out right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    Hey Steve, I just put a block off plate and I didn't remove engine from ski. Had to remove a number of things but it stayed in ski.
    Damn! You're good! I looked at an engine I had laying around and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxnoah418 View Post
    Is it really nessesary to use a block off plate? Because after you do that you can't use that valve to clear any water out right?
    The new 'Skis don't have them. If you flood it, remove the spark plugs, ground the spark plug leads, then crank it with the starter. That'll get the water out.

You only have to have that flapper valve leak and burn up your engine once to see what a bad idea it is.

Okay looks like ill be using the block off plate! Any recommendations on where is best to get one? Any vids on how to install?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information