Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

The history of my 97 GP1200 (long, possibly boring to some)

Now that my ski is 10 years old, I have been thinking back on all the memories I have had on this ski, and the many races and mods over the years, and what it has taken to get the speed to where it is today, it has been a long road.

This ski is the third one I have had in 16 years. It all started when I was 11 on a 91 Waverunner III 650, then a 93 701 ProVXR when I was 14, and finally the GP when I was a senior in high school. I sold the ProV and collected graduation money and bought the GP.

The first mods were the Riva trim tabs, my stockers broke in June and Riva did not have theirs released until August or September. I was getting caught on topend by 110hp XP's and many other normally slower machines just days before my trim tabs broke off. I had mastered riding without trim tabs that summer because I had to wait the entire summer before I received the Riva tabs. I even put on another pair of stockers and broke them before the Riva tabs came in.

The 2nd set of mods was the Riva "RPM Handling kit" which consisted of sponsons, "groovy" short ride plate, intake grate, and extended nozzle. The sponsons and extended nozzle are the only parts that remain on this ski from this kit.

The 3rd set of mods was Riva flame arrestors, choke plates removed, primer installed, Riva reed spacer plate, and boysen reeds, and 5 degree nozzle. The 5 degree nozzle and primer kit and flame arrestors are the only parts that are still on the ski out of this "package".

The 4th go round of mods was a Solas XO prop and the carbs were modified by Buckshot to 46mm. I was running the stock prop until one day I grabbed a handful of throttle at about 45mph, going for a wide open run down a smooth cove, and the ski took a nosedive and engine quit. The stock prop broke a blade off and wedge itself in the impeller housing. I saw a nifty add in Jetsports magazine that said having the stock GP carbs modified by Buckshot to 46mm was the ticket. The carbs never worked out for me. Infact they made me tear my entire motor down when I was 19 years old. I was riding along and the ski just fell on its face, would not go over 20 mph. I checked compression and the middle cylinder was real low compared to the others. I replace all three pistons and rings and could not find any damage. I get everything back together and it is doing the same thing. It turned out the needle was getting stuck completely lifted out of the seat, pouring fuel down the carb. I mean it was pissing down the carb throat. The low compression reading was because there were several ounces of fuel in that cylinder. With all of the mods listed above I was out running Seadoo 951's, only the XP limited could catch me in chop, the GSX never could run me down.

Then the 99 ultra 150 came out. By this time I was 20 years old, and a 16yr old punk was kicking my ass on his new ultra. We ended up being good friends, but pride forced me to send the motor to GK in 2002. I ended up getting my revenge after getting spanked by him for three years.

When I first got the motor back from GK the GP was running 63-64. After pulling the pump, changing the impeller housing, sealing the pump and shoe with 3M 5200, I finally broke into the 65mph range. As most of you know now, with all the bolt holes filled in I am in the 66mph range in the dead heat of the summer, and in the 67mph range in 50-70 degree temps. Now I am installing a wetwolf cone, removing bilge siphon, and blocking off the pisser. I am hoping this gets me to 67-68 in the summer heat and 68-70 in cooler temps. Hopefully some of you found this entertaining if you read all of this.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 01-09-2007 at 02:48 PM.

That was great

that you can relate this history was pretty cool, i've only been into owning ski's for about 3 years, so your talking in reguards to time frame and availability of parts at the time is a learning experiance in itself. thanks... HERES A FUN ONE READ ... the old post on the Riva forum..Graveyard of regretable performance parts (sorry dont have a link access to it, right now)You reminded me of it with your steps of pieces still being used on the ski

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Now that my ski is 10 years old, I have been thinking back on all the memories I have had on this ski, and the many races and mods over the years, and what it has taken to get the speed to where it is today, it has been a long road.

This ski is the third one I have had in 16 years. It all started when I was 11 on a 91 Waverunner III 650, then a 93 701 ProVXR when I was 14, and finally the GP when I was a senior in high school. I sold the ProV and collected graduation money and bought the GP.

The first mods were the Riva trim tabs, my stockers broke in June and Riva did not have theirs released until August or September. I was getting caught on topend by 110hp XP's and many other normally slower machines just days before my trim tabs broke off. I had mastered riding without trim tabs that summer because I had to wait the entire summer before I received the Riva tabs. I even put on another pair of stockers and broke them before the Riva tabs came in.

The 2nd set of mods was the Riva "RPM Handling kit" which consisted of sponsons, "groovy" short ride plate, intake grate, and extended nozzle. The sponsons and extended nozzle are the only parts that remain on this ski from this kit.

The 3rd set of mods was Riva flame arrestors, choke plates removed, primer installed, Riva reed spacer plate, and boysen reeds, and 5 degree nozzle. The 5 degree nozzle and primer kit and flame arrestors are the only parts that are still on the ski out of this "package".

The 4th go round of mods was a Solas XO prop and the carbs were modified by Buckshot to 46mm. I was running the stock prop until one day I grabbed a handful of throttle at about 45mph, going for a wide open run down a smooth cove, and the ski took a nosedive and engine quit. The stock prop broke a blade off and wedge itself in the impeller housing. I saw a nifty add in Jetsports magazine that said having the stock GP carbs modified by Buckshot to 46mm was the ticket. The carbs never worked out for me. Infact they made me tear my entire motor down when I was 19 years old. I was riding along and the ski just fell on its face, would not go over 20 mph. I checked compression and the middle cylinder was real low compared to the others. I replace all three pistons and rings and could not find any damage. I get everything back together and it is doing the same thing. It turned out the needle was getting stuck completely lifted out of the seat, pouring fuel down the carb. I mean it was pissing down the carb throat. The low compression reading was because there were several ounces of fuel in that cylinder. With all of the mods listed above I was out running Seadoo 951's, only the XP limited could catch me in chop, the GSX never could run me down.

Then the 99 ultra 150 came out. By this time I was 20 years old, and a 16yr old punk was kicking my ass on his new ultra. We ended up being good friends, but pride forced me to send the motor to GK in 2002. I ended up getting my revenge after getting spanked by him for three years.

When I first got the motor back from GK the GP was running 63-64. After pulling the pump, changing the impeller housing, sealing the pump and shoe with 3M 5200, I finally broke into the 65mph range. As most of you know now, with all the bolt holes filled in I am in the 66mph range in the dead heat of the summer, and in the 67mph range in 50-70 degree temps. Now I am installing a wetwolf cone, removing bilge siphon, and blocking off the pisser. I am hoping this gets me to 67-68 in the summer heat and 68-70 in cooler temps. Hopefully some of you found this entertaining if you read all of this.
    great story-congrats looks like you surpassed your goal!

+1
    Yeah, I did surpass my goal. The only thing left to try is your 5 degree cone. How is August 9th looking for the meet up?

+1
    Great story..I had a simliar one with Jumper that I sold to Jame..I even wrote out a lineage paper for Jumper..with all the races and mods over the years!

Great story!!

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Yeah, I did surpass my goal. The only thing left to try is your 5 degree cone. How is August 9th looking for the meet up?
    will call you this week

just reread this one ...great story once again
    What puck did you did you finally use with the wetwolf aat??
    I know it will be different on the 760 but your useage and opinion may help in the final installation.

Pistonwash...where is that lineage posted on Jumper?? I'd like to read it!!
    thanks

+1
    I did not gain anything with the wetwolf cone. I put a new impeller housing on, and sent the prop to Impros. The cleaned it up, got rid of the cavitation burns and added a half degree of pitch to the trailing edges. That is how I broke 70. The air temp was in the 70's with low humidity.

THANKS !seeing that the 760 has a smaller pump ,I purchased the updated aat from Bruce for use with the XO I had Carl at ISLAND true and ballance...Bruce did have other pucks than just the ones supplyed in the kit. call him if you still want to retry the AAT...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information