Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Water in oil on FZR

When I checked my oil, there was water in it (white sludge on dipstich and in oil cap.)

Here's a little back-story on it: I rode it the day before I decided to change the oil. As I was riding, I noticed some hesitation a couple times. I took off the seat while I was on the water, and noticed more water than usual. When I got it out of the water, I found that the outlet hose in the IC had blown off, so I'm guessing the hesitation was when it was sucking water into the intake.

I got the oil all flushed and changed, and changed the plugs. The old plugs looked like they had salt deposits on them or something (only about 10 hours on them). Was the water in the oil ingested through the intake (don't know if it would get past the rings or not), or is it something else?

+1
    You need to do a leak down or compression test

+1
    I guess it's possible it could've got sucked through the intake. I'm not a fan of having it low in the hull like R&D's for exactly that reason. A 1/2" hose coming loose will fill your hull MUCH faster than the electric & siphon bilges can get rid of it. Even having changed the oil, you need to go run it hard ASAP!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    How would water enter the crankcase through the intake? it would have to go through the SC, intercooler, upthrough intake into the cylinders then what how is it going to get in the crankcase from there?

Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    When I checked my oil, there was water in it (white sludge on dipstich and in oil cap.)

Here's a little back-story on it: I rode it the day before I decided to change the oil. As I was riding, I noticed some hesitation a couple times. I took off the seat while I was on the water, and noticed more water than usual. When I got it out of the water, I found that the outlet hose in the IC had blown off, so I'm guessing the hesitation was when it was sucking water into the intake.

I got the oil all flushed and changed, and changed the plugs. The old plugs looked like they had salt deposits on them or something (only about 10 hours on them). Was the water in the oil ingested through the intake (don't know if it would get past the rings or not), or is it something else?
    so I'm guessing the hesitation was when it was sucking water into the intake.

Yep, that's it. You were sucking air + water via the intake (the extra suction of the Super Charger increased the suction of water into the intake). Do 3 oil changes and get that water outta there. And like the previous post suggested, run the boat to keep the parts "moving". If this was a salt water ingestion then you really need to hop to it and "get it done". JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    How would water enter the crankcase through the intake? it would have to go through the SC, intercooler, upthrough intake into the cylinders then what how is it going to get in the crankcase from there?
    Past the rings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    so I'm guessing the hesitation was when it was sucking water into the intake.

Yep, that's it. You were sucking air + water via the intake (the extra suction of the Super Charger increased the suction of water into the intake). Do 3 oil changes and get that water outta there. And like the previous post suggested, run the boat to keep the parts "moving". If this was a salt water ingestion then you really need to hop to it and "get it done". JB
    I did run through about 8 qts to flush it. I drained it, then put a couple quarts in and drained them, then a couple more quarts, ran it for a few minutes, drained again, repeated one more time with a filter change.

+1
    You still need to take it out & run it hard to make sure the engine & oil temps get hot enough to evaporate out any remaining water. Just running it on the trailer for a few minutes isn't enough.

+1
    sorry to hear about the problem Dave ! i also agree ride it and do another oil change after the ride just for the heck of it. howmany hours do you have now ?

+1
    I'm riding tomorrow. I'm at about 65 hours on it.

When I was riding last week and noticed the water, it was about a 5 mile ride back to the ramp, so I'm pretty sure I burned out any moisture in the cylinders. After the oil flush/change, I ran the ski on the hose for about 5 minutes. The oil looked good. I checked again today and still no signs of water. When I did the flush, I poured a couple quarts in and drained them, then put a couple more in, ran the engine, drained, and repeated that two more times before the filter and final oil. It seems to be running normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information