Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: not good

not good

spun my fzs round on the water 2 day and it cut out just like the landyard had come out tryed 2 restart and no go sounded like lack of compresion on a cylinder or 2 removed plugs and test compresion found no 1 zero psi no 2 75 psi no 3 75 psi no 4 zero psi timing chain ok and timing ok spin it over with cam cover off and all looks ok any ideas help please !!

+1
    How did you do a compression test? Just wondering, since throttle by wire might skew things, since you need to do the test with the throttle blade wide open.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    How did you do a compression test? Just wondering, since throttle by wire might skew things, since you need to do the test with the throttle blade wide open.
    You can still do a normal compression test with or with out the butterfly open. If you keep the engine cranking and hold the throttle open, the butterfly will open as the engine turns over as there is power supplied to the servo. I have done it both ways and there was about 10psi difference. Mine were 130-135 butterfly closed and 140-145 per cylinder with butterfly open.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdml View Post
    spun my fzs round on the water 2 day and it cut out just like the landyard had come out tryed 2 restart and no go sounded like lack of compresion on a cylinder or 2 removed plugs and test compresion found no 1 zero psi no 2 75 psi no 3 75 psi no 4 zero psi timing chain ok and timing ok spin it over with cam cover off and all looks ok any ideas help please !!
    Unfortunately your description is vague so can't point any one thing out right off the top of my head. I guess you have to start looking at things in a logical order. Something happened that affected all 4 cylinders at the same time. You claim you have 2 cylinders with no compression and 2 with a little over half of normal compression. Did you ever baseline the compression when engine was running decent? The cylinders will vary engine to engine and guage to guage but you should be somewhere in the 125-135 psi range with butterfly closed. You also have to think and mayber be more desriptive as to how the engine has been running the last ride or two to see if you can point out any abnormalities in the crafts performance. There is more to the story than I just did a spin and the engine dropped all 4 cylinders. Maybe someone who has had a similar experience can shed some light on this but from the sound of it, the engine may need to come out and gone through. I would start by pulling the head and checking the cylinders for scoring from possible water ingestion. Check the head and make sure all intake and exhaust valves are sealing correctly and if all looks normal to that point, I would then tear down the engine and check rings for possible breakage.

My guess is you will find something in the valve or ring areas that would cause your issue. The intake supplies all cylinders from the same air channel so I would look for water as a culprate on that side of things. The clutch also could alter air flow if the clutch fails, it restricts air flow but if that was the case then I would guess all cylinders might read low but they should all be close if that was the case but you have 2 that are very low and 2 that are non-existant in psi so the clutch may or may not be a factor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    You can still do a normal compression test with or with out the butterfly open. If you keep the engine cranking and hold the throttle open, the butterfly will open as the engine turns over as there is power supplied to the servo. I have done it both ways and there was about 10psi difference. Mine were 130-135 butterfly closed and 140-145 per cylinder with butterfly open.
    I don't believe that's correct. I've tried it both ways & saw no difference, as have others...
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Doesn't start because holding throttle wide open tps sends signal to ecu and kills spark, Throttle operates only when engine is running. Doesn't hurt holding it wide open when doing a compression test but you will not get higher compression readings.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=101139&page=2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I don't believe that's correct. I've tried it both ways & saw no difference, as have others...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=101139&page=2
    I don't care what you or others have seen. I know on my own personal tests that I have done I saw about 10 psi difference and I did it a couple times and got back to back verified results. Like I mentioned in my post, there will be variables engine to engine and guage to guage. I also heard an increase in intake noise from the relief of an air restriction which in this case would be when the butterfly opens. Whether or not it opens all the way or not is a moot point. The TPS may kill spark to the engine but it may or may not affect the butterfly. Regardless of what you or anyone else sais, I saw 10 lbs. difference but the bottom line is the OP's psi readings are way off regardless if the butterfly is open or closed.

thanks all you guts i will post the fault soon going to pull the motor out asap !!!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    so what MODS were on this ski......boost, intercooler? what was the conditions........thanks!

Little quick to pull the motor......do you know somthing we dont?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    so what MODS were on this ski......boost, intercooler? what was the conditions........thanks!

Little quick to pull the motor......do you know somthing we dont?

He may not have to pull the engine as of now but if it were me I would do a quick check of the intake system for signs of water injestion and then pull the head at a minimum to see if something sticks out as abnormal. With 2 cylinders very low and 2 with no compression at all, there will hopefully be something pretty easy to spot as a prime suspect. I would definitely start with the head first and check all valves. Then inspect head gasket to see if it pushed out or burned up anywhere. Then inspect the bores to see if there is any damage to the wall. It sounds weird but with a limited description, all we have is a compression test to go by and he is across the pond so I am just trying to think of things that primarily affect that part of the testing to get him going in the right direction. I am very anal about my engines so if it were me, I would test using another guage to verify if it is the guage or the engine and then pull it out and tear it down to be sure there isn't something else going on in the process.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdml View Post
    Have seen many cases of valves sticking open, Remove valve cover and check each valve. test one set at a time turn engine so you are at the base circle of the cam lobe and check with filler gauge you should not be able to fit more than a 20 thousand feeler gauge in there if you can then most likely the valve is stuck open.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information