Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4 seater genesis, Are they good?

I was doing a little bit of research on a 4 seater, Are the genesis a good ski? Do they need many upgrades or changes? Any help would be great!!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The Genesis is the same FI engine as the MSX140 they are reliable 1200's with the same problems that can come with a older ski. TPS, EMM,can go bad, but generally are dependable. Check this link for more info. http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Thanks for the reply, I have a 96 750 slt now. I was a little nervous working on it at first but now after a few years is has gotten easier. Is the gensies an easy ski to work on? Also what is TTS and EMM?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gorey View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I have a 96 750 slt now. I was a little nervous working on it at first but now after a few years is has gotten easier. Is the gensies an easy ski to work on? Also what is TTS and EMM?

The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor. It tells the computer how far the gas is pushed. The EMM is the Electronic control module for the ski.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I would say the 1200 Fuel Injected is easier in you have no Carbs to adjust,They still have stators, and the EMM replaces the CDI. If a EMM goes bad it is about a 600.00 fix,That's about the only bad point,but it is a big beast of a ski. And serves it's purpose well.

+1
    I had a 2002 for the last 2 years. I JUST sold that headache. I hated it. During the time I owned it, the CDI box went out. The reverse motor siezed up. One time the whole engine came loose from the mounting plate. The whole works had to come out to be tightened. They blamed the paint on the bottom of the engine getting hot and melting off which I thought was kinda BS. I had an exaust tube blow off causeing it to overheat. They spark plugs fowl out all the time. They are not building 2 strokes anymore for a reason. If you're looking for a new PWC, and you HAVE TO HAVE the American made Polaris brand, I recommend trying to find a later MSX150 4 stroke fuel injected machine. In my area, we ride on the Big Mississippi, and anyone with a 2 stroke Polaris has nothin but problems. My brother once had a 2001 Genesis. The tube for the speedometer came off and it completely filled with water. Well due to his ignorance, he tried to start it to turn on the bilge pump and it hydrolocked. So if you own one of these fine machines, better know the ins and outs and the do's and don't's. My nephew also has a 2002 Virage which is the same as the Genesis (only a 3 seater) and that thing was an absolute LEMON. Too many problems to list. But to each his own.

+1
    There good machines there just like any other ski your going to have problems ,hell just ask the guy above how many problems Kawi had with the ulta 250 the first yr they where Horrible and Seadoo's had problems with the super chargers for yrs . Just make sure it runs good and if it's the right price go for it

And what he said about the MSX 150 is not true in most cases there horrible

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by deepwest563 View Post
    I had a 2002 for the last 2 years. I JUST sold that headache. I hated it. During the time I owned it, the CDI box went out. The reverse motor siezed up. One time the whole engine came loose from the mounting plate. The whole works had to come out to be tightened. They blamed the paint on the bottom of the engine getting hot and melting off which I thought was kinda BS. I had an exaust tube blow off causeing it to overheat. They spark plugs fowl out all the time. They are not building 2 strokes anymore for a reason. If you're looking for a new PWC, and you HAVE TO HAVE the American made Polaris brand, I recommend trying to find a later MSX150 4 stroke fuel injected machine. In my area, we ride on the Big Mississippi, and anyone with a 2 stroke Polaris has nothin but problems. My brother once had a 2001 Genesis. The tube for the speedometer came off and it completely filled with water. Well due to his ignorance, he tried to start it to turn on the bilge pump and it hydrolocked. So if you own one of these fine machines, better know the ins and outs and the do's and don't's. My nephew also has a 2002 Virage which is the same as the Genesis (only a 3 seater) and that thing was an absolute LEMON. Too many problems to list. But to each his own.
    Sounds like all of those problems could have been prevented with some routine maintenance and checkups. I make sure everything on my skis is in perfect working order before they go out in the spring. I have only had Polaris skis for 2 seasons now, and have probably logged somewhere around 200 hours combined on all of my machines and have never had a problem. But it all goes back to making checks on everything. You wouldn't believe how much stuff on a great looking ski is messed up when you get it. When you buy a used ski, go through everything....and I mean EVERYTHING. You wont believe what you turn up sometimes. I had my recently purchased Pro 1200 torn down to just the engine block sitting in the hull. I found all kinds of little things that needed to be corrected, that could have caused problems later. Carbs, exhaust hoses, jet pump issues, fuel lines, oil lines, electronics, wiring, etc. Go through it all. Remember, all these Polaris machines are close to 10 years or older now. They need some TLC. Don't be scared off by one person's bad experience.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    There good machines there just like any other ski your going to have problems ,hell just ask the guy above how many problems Kawi had with the ulta 250 the first yr they where Horrible and Seadoo's had problems with the super chargers for yrs . Just make sure it runs good and if it's the right price go for it

And what he said about the MSX 150 is not true in most cases there horrible
    Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money stay away from the Polaris 4 strokes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Sounds like all of those problems could have been prevented with some routine maintenance and checkups. I make sure everything on my skis is in perfect working order before they go out in the spring. I have only had Polaris skis for 2 seasons now, and have probably logged somewhere around 200 hours combined on all of my machines and have never had a problem. But it all goes back to making checks on everything. You wouldn't believe how much stuff on a great looking ski is messed up when you get it. When you buy a used ski, go through everything....and I mean EVERYTHING. You wont believe what you turn up sometimes. I had my recently purchased Pro 1200 torn down to just the engine block sitting in the hull. I found all kinds of little things that needed to be corrected, that could have caused problems later. Carbs, exhaust hoses, jet pump issues, fuel lines, oil lines, electronics, wiring, etc. Go through it all. Remember, all these Polaris machines are close to 10 years or older now. They need some TLC. Don't be scared off by one person's bad experience.

I tried like hell to take care of that machine. It was serviced by a dealer everytime something went wrong with it. How do you stop a CDI box from going out? You don't. Do you check your reverse motor every time you put your PWC in the water? Noone should have to. Anyways- I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was just sharing my experience with my Genesis.

In regards to the comments about the first year (2007) Kawi 250X-- I have read online alot of stories about the first of the ultra 250X and the problems that they ran into. Personally- I wouldn't buy one, but also I never OWNED one so I cannot speak for those issues. Mine is a 2010 and it had a few minor issues but thats a whole nother thread/topic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information