Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Optimal intercooler water routing

I am thinking of changing the water routing on my 05 RXP, mostly to reduce the chance of water pressure spikes eventually causing a leaking intercooler. My current routing is standard for non-X skis - off pump, thru a strainer, to IC, then to front of exhaust manifold. This is simple and works well, but I have seen a few XS style ICs develop water leaks and want to avoid that.

I am debating two basic routings ...

1. Just add a 3/4" tee, going to a pressure relief set to 35-40 lbs pressure, with a dump overboard. No advantages, just keeping pressure down to prevent potential IC leaking. Should I use a 3/4" dump line, or 1/2"?

2. Split the cooling line after the strainer, with one line going to IC, the other going to the exhaust manifold. The exit from the IC would then be dumped overboard. If I go this route (similar to the X skis), should I use a full 3/4" dump line off the IC, or should I reduce the dump line to 1/2" to dump less water?

Input or experience on this?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I am thinking of changing the water routing on my 05 RXP, mostly to reduce the chance of water pressure spikes eventually causing a leaking intercooler. My current routing is standard for non-X skis - off pump, thru a strainer, to IC, then to front of exhaust manifold. This is simple and works well, but I have seen a few XS style ICs develop water leaks and want to avoid that.

1. Just add a 3/4" tee, going to a pressure relief set to 35-40 lbs pressure, with a dump overboard. No advantages, just keeping pressure down to prevent potential IC leaking. Should I use a 3/4" dump line, or 1/2"?

2. Split the cooling line after the strainer, with one line going to IC, the other going to the exhaust manifold. The exit from the IC would then be dumped overboard. If I go this route (similar to the X skis), should I use a full 3/4" dump line off the IC, or should I reduce the dump line to 1/2" to dump less water?

I was going to do something similar...

After Strainer, 3/4 T....One to IC, one to exhaust...

Dump the IC directly to the OEM water hook up, where the top of the Jpipe vent goes currently...Currently mine goes to the HX after the IC, so dump the HX to the outlet...

Jpipe vent, either put a thru hull fitting in the rear somewhere, or run it up front and connect to the battery one way vent fitting (with an obvious reducer)...

Advantages? Exhaust will run cooler at all speeds, no real high pressure spikes on the IC core, and better flushing setup...

+1
    I will folow this thread very carefully cause I'm curently installing a xs intercooler on my own gtx.

Things I noticed is that stock x-ski have a ''t'' fitting on the hose from the pump, one end goes to inlet of intercooler and the other goes to front of exhaust manifold.
    Same for intercooler outlet, water from exhaust manifold and from intercooler are joined onto a ''t'' and then dumped out the ski.
    On the parts diagram the exit hose seems to be smaller than the inlet. So probably the inlet is ¾'' and outlet is ½''

see that diagram.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=165&B=2

+1

IMO #2 would be a better choice with a 1/2" dump. Wouldn't be a bad investment to install a pressure gauge on the inlet side of the IC just to moniter or adjust your pressure. At least thats my opinion using the X style cooler.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    I will folow this thread very carefully cause I'm curently installing a xs intercooler on my own gtx.

Things I noticed is that stock x-ski have a ''t'' fitting on the hose from the pump, one end goes to inlet of intercooler and the other goes to front of exhaust manifold.
    Same for intercooler outlet, water from exhaust manifold and from intercooler are joined onto a ''t'' and then dumped out the ski.
    On the parts diagram the exit hose seems to be smaller than the inlet. So probably the inlet is ¾'' and outlet is ½''

see that diagram.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=165&B=2

The T on the OEM X-skis was to help relieve pressure spikes in the IC core...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    IMO #2 would be a better choice with a 1/2" dump. Wouldn't be a bad investment to install a pressure gauge on the inlet side of the IC just to moniter or adjust your pressure. At least thats my opinion using the X style cooler.
    Thanks Duke. That would be simpler and easier than #1 too. Splitting the feed should reduce the pressure that the IC sees and I could reduce or restrict any of the lines if needed after running it and trying it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I was going to do something similar...

After Strainer, 3/4 T....One to IC, one to exhaust...

Dump the IC directly to the OEM water hook up, where the top of the Jpipe vent goes currently...Currently mine goes to the HX after the IC, so dump the HX to the outlet...

Jpipe vent, either put a thru hull fitting in the rear somewhere, or run it up front and connect to the battery one way vent fitting (with an obvious reducer)...

Advantages? Exhaust will run cooler at all speeds, no real high pressure spikes on the IC core, and better flushing setup...
    Exactly ... the only difference is I switched to the 08 style mid pipe and TDR waterbox, so my routing is little bit different now than a J pipe setup. But, basically doing what you are thinking ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The T on the OEM X-skis was to help relieve pressure spikes in the IC core...
    basicaly what Vern is trying to prevent

Another question: Would it be better to install the strainer after the ''t'', so pressure would be lower in the strainer or is he able to accept full pressure?

+1

I ran the #2 setup last year with no issues on a New Vortec(Riva 1 IC) And some of the guys here thought it was overkill..I used a 3/4 line to dump though,My thinking was to have the water free flow through the IC as much/easy as possible BUT maybe i need to back it up some to cool more efficiantly..Maybe when the season starts i can get some kind of temp gauge on the output temps on the ICa dn see if the 2 different sizes in fact make a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    basicaly what Vern is trying to prevent

Another question: Would it be better to install the strainer after the ''t'', so pressure would be lower in the strainer or is he able to accept full pressure?
    Before the T...The strainer will hold up to the pump pressure no problem...As long as your using a good strainer that is...

+1
    I split the water routing or separate cooling lines for the exhaust and IC. The main line feeds water to the exhaust, the OPAS line now feeds the IC after the strainer. Separate dumps too!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information