Low hours Skies, can they be tampered?

I dont want to know the procedure if it exist, but want to know if its posible to change the hours on sea doo new 4tech to make them look like low hours skies?. My friend is looking for one to buy and we came across a 2006 rxt with 13 hrs, the previous owner is a sea doo mechanic and we are a little skeptical.

I hope it can't be done and if so will it be expensive? Will a data log on a ski show the real usage or only the current cpu installed in the machine usage?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    The only way it could be done is to swap or buy a new ecu/mpem,..... and being if a seadoo mechanic working at a dealer this could be easily be done in my opinion.

+1
    i bought a 2006 rxt last year with 11 hrs on it. you should be able to look at the motor and other things on the boat. mine looked factory fresh.

Thats what i though, mine had 19 hrs but the factory look was all over it

Hours on a 2006 is stored in two spots, the ecu and the cluster. The ecu will show actual engine running hours, while the cluster will show powered up hours.

If you swap out the gauge with a new one, you reset the hours back to zero as shown on the gauge. But if you hook up BUDS or CANDooPro to it, you can read off both numbers. Gauge number is always higher than ECU hours. If ECU hours read off higher, the cluster has been replaced at some point.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Hours on a 2006 is stored in two spots, the ecu and the cluster. The ecu will show actual engine running hours, while the cluster will show powered up hours.

If you swap out the gauge with a new one, you reset the hours back to zero as shown on the gauge. But if you hook up BUDS or CANDooPro to it, you can read off both numbers. Gauge number is always higher than ECU hours. If ECU hours read off higher, the cluster has been replaced at some point.

What he said above...

FYI, I had a cluster replaced under warranty 3 months after the purchase. This was on a brand new '06 RXT. The speedo started acting crazy and at 20 hrs. it was replaced w/a new cluster, which was before the problem was correctly diagnosed as the paddle-wheel sending unit. Now mine shows 20 fewer hours on the cluster than what is actually on the ECU.

IE, buyer beware...

Thread Information