Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flooded xp di 1004

I was out on the lake yesterday with my 04 xp di and I lent it to a buddy who went out for a ride for five minutes. I saw him fall off twice and then struggling to get back on so I went out and he said the thing was sinking. I got it back to the boat ramp and loaded it on the trailer and the ski was full of water so I drained it, took the plugs out and the engine was full of water. I ended up getting the water out of the engine and started it up on the trailer no problem. The ski was dry when he took it out. I started it again this morning and lubed the engine and it is running fine on the trailer. I could see no leaks of water. My friend is a big bloke about 200 pound. I am wondering what would have caused the hull to fill so quickly and is there anything else I should worry about. All the electrics are working and water appeared not to have got into any of the boxes. I did spray water repellent over everything as well?

I am thinking carbon seal from reading this forum but I don't know what it looks like.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    1. "lent"?
    2. Buddy!
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Yeah I know, but don't cry over spilt milk and fix it I guess.

Take it out on the water as soon as you can. There will still be water in the engine that needs to get evaporated out.

Prob nothing wrong with your ski. rolling them about trying to get on them can sometimes fil the hull with water

Listen to southernflip! You need to get out and ride it and get that water evaporated as quickly as possible otherwise you are going to have a huge problem on your hand!

+1
    go ride it and pull it back on trailer after 5 min, check for water, then if its still dry, go ride for 1/2 hour check again, then go for an hour, you nee dto ride it as much aspossible as soon as possible to dry engine out. if you run it on a hose, and see no leaks, then it is most likely your friend tipped it over enough to flood it all out.
    these skis sit very low in water, doing a few donuts and figure 8's will flood it, you need ot make sure the seal under the front tray is very very good quality and in very very good condition.
    watch when you ride next time how many times the water goes over the front of the ski, right across where the seal is, under the hood.

also check your bilge function.
    fill hull with 3 gallons of water, on the trailer, tip the ski so it runs to the back, put the key in, does the bilge go on ??????

Bilge is good when I got back to the ramp plugged it in and the bilge worked. Checked all hoses etc and nil breaks. The seals are good. I am leaning to thinking my buddy has caused the water to enter through the battery door. Will take it out this afternoon for a spin and see how it all goes.

Took it out yesterday and all good, could not find any leaks. Took it to a jet ski shop who couldn't find any problems with it leaking. It must have been my buddy takng too long to get on and get the bilge going even though he was only out for five minutes. Whats the long term damage from fresh water. I would say I got less than a small glass of water out.

+1
    Just a little bit of advice :
    If you get a maintenance warning coming up in the near future on the LCD quite often after you have had water in the crank area of the engine usually its the front bearing that starts to fail and the flywheel oscillates and starts rubbing on the pick up or the stator windings on the front cover of the engine.
    This has happened often with some of our DI machines and it throws different codes on the buds which makes it hard to pin point the problem.
    It can take a few outings before the bearing starts to fail,
    But hope its all good !!!
    but this would be the first place I would look if it starts flashing maintenance at you.
    Best of Luck.

+1
    Did you have any water in the air pump? Mine filled up and cause me great depression for the entire summer last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information