Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 RX Problems

Hi all,

Firstly I need to introduce myself as I'm new here although I have been lurking for a few weeks. Name is Pete, I live in Australia after migrating from Northern Ireland a few years ago and have just recently purchased a 2000 RX. I am a mechanic by trade but have not worked in the field for around 13 years apart from working on my own cars and even now all I tend to do is engine management. I have never touched a 2 stroke or a jet ski so excuse me if say some daft things! lol

I have only been out on the Ski a few times since purchase, the first few times it was running good but it took a while to start and didn't like to idle in the water and would regular stall, I thought I would leave it until the end of the summer before having a look at it so I could lots of use out of it. A couple of weeks ago it developed a misfire both at high and low rpm's so I decided to call it a day and get it out of the water, as I was lining up for the trailer it stalled so I tried starting it again with no luck! Got it on the trailer and noticed I had a rope wrapped around the prop shaft! I removed all of the rope and pulled the plugs which were very fouled and when I checked the gap they were nearly twice the recommended gap. Fitted new correctly gapped plugs and fired it up on the trailer. Started and revved good with no miss.

As I wasn't going to out again for a week or two I done some research on the 951 and thought I would check the RAVE valves, they were badly gummed up so I give them a good clean and refitted. Next time I took the Ski out it was running great, better than it ever had then all of a sudden revs dropped to 2500 and it really struggled then it died! I was only 100 meters from shore so jumped of and swam the ski in. Tried starting it on the trailer with no luck, it was cranking but very slowly and if I give it a touch of throttle it will splutter almost as if its about to start. I pulled the plugs and this is what I found...

The plug on the right is from the cylinder closest to magneto (I"m guessing this is the MAG cylinder I have seen referred too???) Fresh plugs with about 15-20 mins use!

Opinions???

Reading the workshop manual the possible cause for a slow crank can be a blocked/semi seized propulsion jet so I decided to check it out. No blockages anywhere in it but I did find water contamination inside the cone.

I have order a repair kit for this but was wondering what oil is recommended as I read here not to use grease as SeaDoo recommends?

There is also a few scratches, dings on the prop and housing. As these bad enough to cause concern?

I have checked clearance between the prop and seal and it is well within tolerances.

The gray fuel lines were present so I decided to change these, fit an inline filter and clean the fuel system and carbs and found all filters were squeaky clean but there was water in the filter housing!

My tank was filled with 98ron V-Power so I syphoned 4 litres out from different locations of the tank and not 1 bit of contamination so I decided not to empty it and will take a sample from the carbs the next time I crank it.

So all in all a very eventful first few months of SeaDoo ownership which has shown me the previous owner didn't maintain that well.

Sorry about the long winded first ever post here but I want to try and add everything so I can get some good feedback!

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Hello, Is this a Carb'd or DI ski? Eitherway from the spark plugs pictures i see (imo) some internal issues on the rear PTO side. Remove the rave valves again and plugs, rotate the motor by hand looking down the rave ports to inspect the pistons... its not a great inspection,but you can get an idea of the condition
    goodluck

Thanks for the reply,

Its carb'd. I was waiting on a compression tester to arrive as my local shop didn't have 1 and I had to order one in, then I was was going to check compression as it did feel like a loss of compression when it happened. I looked inside the rave valve ports and seen a few marks on the piston so removed the head to find this!

I don't need a compression tester to tell me there is a problem here!
    Looks like detonation to me but then I have been lucky with turbo cars and have only seen det in pictures. Cylinder looks very dry also, would there be a problem with the oil injection to that cylinder? I think i'll remove the oil injection and just pre-mix it once I get it rebuilt.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Not good.... From my experience in the past, this looks to be the thrust washers coming apart on the crank which equals a new motor. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Not good.... From my experience in the past, this looks to be the thrust washers coming apart on the crank which equals a new motor. sorry
    I'd put money on that being exactly the problem as there is free play in the con rod.

Engine is going next week for maching 1mm oversized, liners and a crank rebuild.

Thank goodness I am keeping the costs down by doing a lot of the work myself! That crank is an expensive item to rebuild!

+1
    upper end rod bearing on you most recent failure , but looking at your front dome-- your ski has had more than 1 (failure) in its life. New crank, bore w/ new pistons, bearing, new head or have yours machined and gaskets-- identify the root cause and FIX it.

+1
    also looks like you have either a -905 0r -907 impeller in the pump. The -905 is too steep for your motor which lead to deto-- a possible root cause.

+1
    Take a close look at the sleeve that lost the bearing as it may need to be replaced as I have seen a number upper end rod bearing failures crack the sleeves starting at the transfer ports.

Thanks Jim,

I was thinking about changing the impeller due to the marks on the tip of the blades. I defintley will now though just to ensure I have the correct one. New sleeves are going in as a matter of course as I am oversizing the pistons.

Is there any were I can buy the service tool for lining up the driveshaft? would you know which 1 I need as there is 2 listed in the manual?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    as long as you didnt have the motor out and did not mess with the pump shims you should be ok just to put it back on there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information