+1

when to do winter storage steps?

Hey guys. I was wondering...
    How many days/weeks would a ski have to be sitting before you would consider performing the storage procedures (ie: winter storage)?

Thanks for your time.

+1
    well, anything above 2-3 weeks depending on the weather and where its stored.
    as for the winter storage, then only if it gets or has chances of getting exposed to cold temperatures, near 0'C.

but some things like stabil in the fuel, can be used all year long.
    but for something like fogging, then only if it sits for 2-3 weeks like i said...

another detail i will add, most of the winterizing is maintenance i do during the year, like greasing, checking, and such.
    although i only change out the oil and plugs before the summer season.
    unless theres water in the oil, no need to change it before winter (unless theres water and it will also be exposed to water freezing temps.)

hope i helped.

+1
    i hope you jokeing your in canada? shouldnt you had that done a long time ago? is it in heated storage i hope??? im not trying to be mean, it is in heat some where right.

+1
    Hey there and thank you for your replies, Shui and warner0308 !!

Sorry, let me provide more details:
    - Purchased my ski last summer, 2011

- Been riding at least 1-2 hours a week (at least every 7 days) since then. Past 2 months have been cold, but I have been keeping up my routine with warm layers in sheltered parts of the ocean.

- The past two weeks have been the longest I've gone without riding and having my ski sit inside not in use.

- My ski is stored in a heated garage, all the time when not riding.

- My ski has been sitting in my heated garage now for 15 days.

- Also want to note that I flush and wash, completely, and polish after each ride.

So, given the above details, what should I do if the weather stays bad for another couple weeks? Worst case scenario if I have to leave my ski inside the heated garage for a total of 30 days - what should I do to help it in tip top shape?

I would appreciate your expert advise, as I am new, use my ski fairly often, and want to take care of it.

Thanks so much for any further replies that could help!

+1

Sitting less then 30 days

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Hey there and thank you for your replies, Shui and warner0308 !!

Sorry, let me provide more details:
    - Purchased my ski last summer, 2011

- Been riding at least 1-2 hours a week (at least every 7 days) since then. Past 2 months have been cold, but I have been keeping up my routine with warm layers in sheltered parts of the ocean.

- The past two weeks have been the longest I've gone without riding and having my ski sit inside not in use.

- My ski is stored in a heated garage, all the time when not riding.

- My ski has been sitting in my heated garage now for 15 days.

- Also want to note that I flush and wash, completely, and polish after each ride.

So, given the above details, what should I do if the weather stays bad for another couple weeks? Worst case scenario if I have to leave my ski inside the heated garage for a total of 30 days - what should I do to help it in tip top shape?

I would appreciate your expert advise, as I am new, use my ski fairly often, and want to take care of it.

Thanks so much for any further replies that could help!

I have the 2011 GTI 155 Limited and I've been looking for a shop manual for a while. My dealer said they didn't have it and to check back. I've searched everywhere on-line, but can't find it. Any thoughts on obtaining a 2011 GTI 155 Limited shop manual on the Internet

Now, after my ski has been sitting 17 days, I thought I would:
    - Install fuel stabilizer, run it up with the hose on to get it through the fuel system (max 2 mins).
    - Pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger
    - Keep it warm in the garage
    - BRP's XP-S Anti-Corrosive Lubricant has already been applied to engine after a complete wash.
    - Inside the hull has completely dried and outside has been polished.

I am counting the days and waiting for a break in the weather to get out again for an hour or two on the ocean. If I come close to the 1 month mark, I'll do the full storage procedure to be safe, but I can't see there being an issue with less then 30 days sitting after preforming the steps above - thoughts?

Thanks again for your reply. Appreciate any helpful advise further on this thread.

+1
    Dealer says they still can't get the shop manual for my ski GTI 155 Limited 2011. Until then I'll keep looking online to purchase.

In the mean time after 19 days of sitting, I've filled the tank, installed the required amount of fuel stabilizer, pulled the battery and started it on a trickle charge - both the battery and my ski are in my heated garage. If I do pass the 30 days mark and I don't have the service manual to perform the full storage procedure, I'll make a short trip into the dealer to have it performed.

Thank you.

+1
    if its in a heated garage then your fine. if you store it longer then a month id fog the motor and add fuel stabilizer. My garage is well sealed with no heat and it never gets below freezing in it but i still like to add RV antifreeze. where in canada are you? Lot of the water where i am has ice even though its been a warm winter here. LOL i was actually out in a T-shirt 2 days ago cause it was so warm out.

Thread Information