Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Carbon Fiber/Aramid Construction, maybe a good business idea

Hey Everyone!
    First post

I have carbon fiber, aramid (kevlar), nomex, etc at my disposal plus vacuum bagging, mold making, etc..
    Searching around the site, I found a few companies back in the day used to make cf pwc's.. why would the other company's stop producing parts?

Anyways,

Would there still be interest in cf pieces, maybe hull tops, and eventually hull bottoms??
    Which ski should I start with? (most popular to aftermarket)

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by funk composites View Post
    hey everyone!
    First post

i have carbon fiber, aramid (kevlar), nomex, etc at my disposal plus vacuum bagging, mold making, etc..
    Searching around the site, i found a few companies back in the day used to make cf pwc's.. Why would the other company's stop producing parts?

Anyways,

would there still be interest in cf pieces, maybe hull tops, and eventually hull bottoms??
    Which ski should i start with? (most popular to aftermarket)

thanks!
    when i think of a business like that i think of lee manville and wattosee. They have been very sucessfull but have also been very involved in the race scene. They mainly build topdecks and hulls for race teams because they are most likely to purchase these hulls. But they also demand hulls that suits there needs: Weight savings and strength because you can built a lightweight hull and have stress fractures and they also want hulls that are modified for the condition they ride in. Lee manville that recently passed away had a very good understanding of hulls because he used to also race jetski's. He lucked out when he came from the uk and hooked up with fishetti whom he helped built racecrafts. Word got around that lee manville had a great talent and he was hired by team kawasaki. I heard lee spent alot of time in developing race hulls and then improved on them again. But to make it short it is who you know in this industry that determines the work you will have and how far you will go out of your way to make things happen. I know of speedfreaks a jetski performance shop that decided to built a lightweight top deck for the seadoo rxp. He made it and he tried to sell it on e-bay for $ 1,700 and it took him quite awhile to sell it. Doesn't sound like a whole lot of money for the time spent to built it. If i were you i would try to contact wattosse in california. He would be a good one to talk as he has been in business for a very long time. Hope this helps.

+1
    Watoosee's phone number is 1-951-371-6154 tell him bari that bought the bullet carbonfiber hx hull referred you to him.

Rather than making hulls, you should start with making bolt on parts.... A company which goes by the name of "Bullett Racing" used to make seats, fairings, ect. but no longer manufactures these parts. Some of them, the seats in particular are in high demand and demand an extremely high price.

I've looked into having these parts made, but my cost was too high. Maybe if you are doing the work yourself, there could be a margin big enough to justify the time and effort.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by treemoney View Post
    Rather than making hulls, you should start with making bolt on parts.... A company which goes by the name of "Bullett Racing" used to make seats, fairings, ect. but no longer manufactures these parts. Some of them, the seats in particular are in high demand and demand an extremely high price.

I've looked into having these parts made, but my cost was too high. Maybe if you are doing the work yourself, there could be a margin big enough to justify the time and effort.

+1
    Thats what I am thinking too.You can also consider make some cosmetical parts or add ons.Hoods seats cowlings etc....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by treemoney View Post

This is the way to go in my opinion. Start small and work your way up. If you could start popping out brand new carbon fiber seats, grab handles, fairings and wind screens I'm sure you will have a nice little demand. People are always looking for carbon fiber seats and they are no longer made which is a bummer.

+1
    Then let's start small.

I was thinking of buying a ski and slowly replace each part to cf. Which would you guys recommend? (just because I want one now)
    or.. maybe you guys can send me a piece, I'll make a mold and the first person who sends the piece will get it at cost

once I have the molds, we're ready to go!
    How's that sound?? or if any one else has better ideas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Funk Composites View Post
    Then let's start small.

I was thinking of buying a ski and slowly replace each part to cf. Which would you guys recommend? (just because I want one now)
    or.. maybe you guys can send me a piece, I'll make a mold and the first person who sends the piece will get it at cost

once I have the molds, we're ready to go!
    How's that sound?? or if any one else has better ideas.
    Someone please get this man a Riva or Bullet racing seat! I hope you go through with this there is still tones of interest in this hull with all the conversions. I would love to send you a grab bar and fairings, but my ski is a couple hours away right now. I might be able to go get them sat/sunday.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    WOW!! this IS an exciting thread!!!

Where are you located Funk? how long would the process take?
    (I ask cuz I am leaving my current location in a month, for FLA.)

Gpr parts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information