Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Olomana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tahiti, French Polynesia
    Posts
    1,414
    +1
    76

    300X - check your airbox.

    Check your airbox, I found mine half open... Water can get inside if you have the R&D cool filter ( or even without ).
    You must check from the front! mine look close from the the engine bay.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9463.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	263037

    Also my trumpet was starting to get suck inside the airbox but there is a grill inside to stop it


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    EAST COAST
    Posts
    1,168
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Olomana View Post
    Check your airbox, I found mine half open... Water can get inside if you have the R&D cool filter ( or even without ).
    You must check from the front! mine look close from the the engine bay.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9463.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	263037

    Also my trumpet was starting to get suck inside the airbox but there is a grill inside to stop it
    Wonder if your air box being opened like that could have contributed to your engine failure?

  3. #3
    That's a pretty hefty "snap" there . . . Any chance you just forgot to snap it back on when you put the R&D unit on? The newer style trumpets are much beefier than the original ones on the first generation Ultras. I would bet the reason your trumpet was getting sucked in was because the "snaps" came undone. Ya, thank God for that grill to stop it . . . else that trumpet was on its way to the SC to be ground up like hamburger! JB

  4. #4
    "just sayin".. jetdave56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    JERSEY SHORE
    Posts
    4,502
    +1
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by Olomana View Post
    Check your airbox, I found mine half open... Water can get inside if you have the R&D cool filter ( or even without ).
    You must check from the front! mine look close from the the engine bay.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9463.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	263037

    Also my trumpet was starting to get suck inside the airbox but there is a grill inside to stop it
    that's good pointing that out...will be on everybodys pre ride check list.....on my GPR I've had a few idems either break or just pop loose from a rough long day of riding...

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    As opposed to the big ass opening on the front ? That didint cause his engine failure. Lol.

  6. #6
    Olomana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tahiti, French Polynesia
    Posts
    1,414
    +1
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    Wonder if your air box being opened like that could have contributed to your engine failure?
    I don't think so, but i found my Eaton seized when putting the new engine in.


    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    That's a pretty hefty "snap" there . . . Any chance you just forgot to snap it back on when you put the R&D unit on? The newer style trumpets are much beefier than the original ones on the first generation Ultras. I would bet the reason your trumpet was getting sucked in was because the "snaps" came undone. Ya, thank God for that grill to stop it . . . else that trumpet was on its way to the SC to be ground up like hamburger! JB
    When you install the R&D unit, you don't need to touch the airbox.
    Trumpet was moving in because it was half open, but there is a grill inside that will prevent the trumpet to get suck in.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    EAST COAST
    Posts
    1,168
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    As opposed to the big ass opening on the front ? That didint cause his engine failure. Lol.
    Since the (Exact)cause was never really determined,,You cant rule out anything! What if water was getting sucked in? Now he stated his eaton was locked up!
    I certainly would`nt rule out that it contributed!!!

  8. #8
    Olomana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tahiti, French Polynesia
    Posts
    1,414
    +1
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    Since the (Exact)cause was never really determined,,You cant rule out anything! What if water was getting sucked in? Now he stated his eaton was locked up!
    I certainly would`nt rule out that it contributed!!!
    Luckily it was just some small chunk of salt between the rotors, I was able to unlock it without much trouble.
    I do fogg before and after each ride, but have to admit after my failure, I just sprayed inside the eaton without thinking water went in.

    But anyway, check your airbox will save your eaton or engine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Check your pump tunnels ...
    By Vern in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
  2. Check your reverse buckets
    By watermedic in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-22-2005, 04:23 PM
  3. lawracing, Please check your PM
    By Red Devil in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 09:14 AM
  4. peteshauling check your private messages please
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 06:25 PM
  5. two2curupt, Please check your PM on Hulk's site
    By Red Devil in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •