Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holding RPM on idle

One thing about my ski that I have noticed when I first start it up, mostly on the trailer. Is when it starts it revs 7-8K and holds to between 6-8K It never really idles down. If I rev it up it will hold at those RPM's and then very slowly idle down. Thing is in the water it idles fine and I don't notice it. So if I dial it back on the trailer it will be off and to low in the water. What could be causing this or is it just because it isn't warmed up. I can't remember if it does this on the trailer after it has been rode.

-Thanks

Sounds like its running away to me. when it does that and if you pull the laynard will it die or keep going?

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Clean your carbs

You would think it was running away but I can rev it just fine and can kill it with the stop button no problem. It just revs high when it first starts and when you do rev it it holds high RPM's. Then it slowly revs down. The motor is only two years old and in the water under load it is fine.

The carbs aren't dirty, they were just cleaned and rebuilt by a professional shop just recently.

Only thing I can think of is a carb gasket isn't seated properly but I am pretty sure it is but not ruling it out. If it isn't that I was looking for some other ideas of what it could be that I could look into.

-Thanks

I checked with one of our techs and he thinks it somthing inside the carb. I have seen carbs get re done and put back then some old crap from the tank made it back into the carb and had to start over again. Just my 2 cents though

+1
    Check for air leaks around all seals pertaining to motor. If one has gone out can cause that issue. Back trailer in water and take a can of starting fluid and let it idle. Squirt starting fluid around base of carbs, manifolds, crank seals etc. Raises in rpm at any spot is a sign of air leak.

+1
    Could be an air leak into the crankcase, i.e. crank seals, case, or cylinder base gaskets, etc.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Rampage View Post
    I checked with one of our techs and he thinks it somthing inside the carb. I have seen carbs get re done and put back then some old crap from the tank made it back into the carb and had to start over again. Just my 2 cents though
    +1

Carbs

did you get it figured out?

Gas tank was replaced prior to the carb being rebuilt and has new tap assy, and fuel level sensor. Motor is only 2 yrs old and has been pressure and leak tested twice, most recent being exactly this month last year. Even though this was checked a year ago I had the problem even before then. Runs fine in the water and has no problem shutting it off and starting it. It just seems to Idle high out of water but as it warms it idles down to normal out of water rpm's. Is this a problem or just a nature of the beast. I am going to check the carb gaskets as that may be a possibility but it is very slight, even though I know it can cause it I am pretty sure they are on correctly. Wouldn't hurt to check it just so I can positively rule it out.

Even though this is a 96, it has pretty much been restored with all new OEM parts which the exception of the mods and upgrades when the motor was built and installed 2 yrs ago. Motor was built by a professional and reputably shop, but was installed by me.

Any other suggestions that could be a possibility? I am open to any that I can look into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information