+1

Yamalube 2W vs 2M

I have a 2002 Yamaha SUV 1200 ski that has just been converted to premix. I have been using the recommended oil (Yamalube 2W). I would like to know the difference between Yamaha 2W and 2M. I believe both are semi synthectic. Could I use either?

I also heard that Penzoil that is sold at Walmart is good. Any opinions?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceRiverRider View Post
    I have a 2002 Yamaha SUV 1200 ski that has just been converted to premix. I have been using the recommended oil (Yamalube 2W). I would like to know the difference between Yamaha 2W and 2M. I believe both are semi synthectic. Could I use either?

The 2W is used when the cat. convertor is still in the ski if taken out you can use any oil, The 2M is a very good oil. On your ski it did not come with a cat. convertor so you can use it.

That Penzoil is fine to run and is also semi-synthetic like the 2M. Do not use the 2W if you have the Cat removed-waste of money/not needed. Do a search for the explaination of the API certs. relative to the 2W as it's a 'higher standard' as far as temps go, which is needed for a ski w/catcon. Though some have run it succesfully, IMO that oil is too thick for most premix apps.

is the tc-w3 synthetic oil any good

Quote Originally Posted by ctct2118 View Post
    is the tc-w3 synthetic oil any good
    What brand/type? Injector or pre-mix? Carb'd ski or efi? Stock or modified? With/without catcon? (In general, most TCW-3 oil will work, & is the required rating for watercooled engines for 'marine' applications/boats, ski's, etc..)

+1

Whatever you decide, don't mix the 2M with the 2W you are already using, run the tank as empty as possible with the premix in it. I can't remember where I saw or read it, but the 2 are supposedly not compatible. I used (when my 97 GP1200 was running) 2M, but the last time I bought a gallon 2 years ago, it was up to $40 so don't do it to save money. The only place up here in NJ I was able to find it is at a boat dealership or West Marine which is not cheap.

+1
    I picked up a gallon of Pennzoil Marine XLF (Extended Life Forumla) synthetic blend oil at Walmart for $20. I will run the tank down low and start with the Pennzoil then.

Thread Information