03 gtx supercharged. Rebuild or replace?

I have a 2003 gtx supercharged with a blown engine. I haven't torn it apart yet so I don't know the extent of the damage but was wondering the best route to take. Rebuild my current engine, if possible, or replace with a new one? If I should replace can anyone point me in the right direction? I've looked everywhere and only come up with a few places that offer complete engines. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

+1
    how do you know its blown ? what the compression ? whats is it doing or not doing ?

Engine completely locked up. That's all I know at the moment

+1
    well IMO I would tear it apart first to see where the damage is done,you may be able to salvage the block,crank,head ect ect ect....if you find there is an extensive amount of damage then i would start to look for a long block...

+1
    I bought a 03 gtx sc basket case last summer as a winter fill in project. Motor locked up and previouse owner took to boat shop. Shop tore it completly down and told po that motor was trash needed a long block. I bought it and laid all parts out on benches. Balance shaft had broke a tooth and wedged between crank gear and balance shaft. All other parts were mint. All cylinders checked in specks-rings- all valves perfect with no rust or wear crank and bearings etc. All said and done did a valve job - rings - bearings - head bolts and used balance shaft. Didn't even make a mark on crank gear to tell which one was locked against shaft. Motor was clean with very little carbon and all bearings were usable and no metal in pumps or bottom case. No idea what made the tooth on the shaft break the way it did but you will definitly want to tear down and inspect before assuming the worst. Oh- and had to rebuild sc and buy a missing coil lol. Just installed motor yesterday and waiting on sc rebuild kit and coil Good luck and cross fingers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    well IMO I would tear it apart first to see where the damage is done,you may be able to salvage the block,crank,head ect ect ect....if you find there is an extensive amount of damage then i would start to look for a long block...
    +1 get it out and apart see where you stand i have some leftovers from my build let me know if you need something.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted as I tear it down

Thread Information