Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello to all

Hello to all

Hi there Polaris owners,
    New here so i thought i'd drop in and say G'day.
    My name is Matt and 3 weeks back bought my first ski a 1996 Hurricane 700 off ebay.......As I am totally fresh to PWC's it was a hesitant purchase but at th price of au$500 I couldnt look past it.......There is one problem...no motor....so I have a bit of work to do on her before im on th water.
    Ive had small engine experience due to riding dirt bikes for yrs and rebuilding and tweaking them regularly but understand im in a totally different world now and will need sound advice on a few things like overall how does this ski rate?....I also would like advice on what suitable 2 stroke oil i should use as I use JP1 in th race bike as it was the best.....could this be used in marine engines? or would it be safer with the manufacturer brand oils?......As for the problem with the hole where the engine lived that has been sorted out and have found the engines easily on the net......Once it arrives what handy hints should I know to ensure im getting peek performance......Im also partial to pulling the engine down and rebuilding it as a matter of knowing the jobs done right..and if I do are there any part manufacturers that stand out for quality and performance......One more thing.....Does this ski have tow capability for biskits?

Cheers all
    Matt

+1
    As a hurricane owner, I can tell you that they are a very fun ski to ride. I think you'll find that the ski is very 'tippy' with one person and two will be nearly impossible. Being a single-seater, it's not going to be well suited for towing. I suggest you take a look at www.wetwolf.com for some good hurricane information and a good basis for modification advice. You'll want to go ahead and rebuild the carbs and make sure you have them set to factory settings to start out and will want to keep an eye on piston wash to make sure you are not running too lean. Also, if your ski still has the gray tempo brand lines in the hull, remove them and replace with new. The hurricanes also had an issue with the fuel select valve where over time the seals will swell and thus restrict flow.

As for the oil, someone else can better recommend a good oil but Polaris recommends the use of TC-WIII. Any good quality TC-WIII oil should do you just fine.

Also check the some of the skickies on the forums for good general PWC advice.

Oh and I almost forgot, welcome to the hulk!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk Whats a BISKIT?

+1

Tube

Inflatable toy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	who-brought-cat.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	263258

+1

Tube

Inflatable toy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	who-brought-cat.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	263258

Welcome!

Lol sorry I forget terminology can change from country to country but yeah here in Aus we refer to them as a ski biskit (single seated doughnut shaped tube) or wing (up to 3 ppl on an inflatable wing device) just wanted to know if it was possible to give th kids something to do while im having fun.

+1
    Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. This is where the good guys are

A few guys here have canes, they are somewhat of a wet and wild ride which is what people love most about them. Did you get the hull complete with all of the other bits, pump, electricals, tanks etc? There is a guy in NSW that has quite a few hurricane parts some performance bits too. Provide us some pics of what you have we can help you put a list of stuff together. First thing I would do is ask the previous owner if he has the cases or any engine parts available as a complete engine will set you back a bit, whereas a rebuild is quite inexpensive for a twin cyl.

I'm not sure if the 700cc engine will have the grunt to pull a tube, it could be awkward given the platform really is for 1 rider on those things. You also need to consider that in NSW maritime will hit you with the book if they see you. In NSW the law requires that for pulling a tube the ski must support 3 riders, 1 driver, 1 observer sitting backwards and a spare seat in case of an emergency for the tube rider. That is of course if you ride in any patrolled waterways

+1
    Them Aussies are pretty crazy, Im not sure if rules matter down under! Warby lives about 8 miles from hy house so I know what a "Spanner' is!!

Lol seems like you'll be right for the lingo Lav if you have an Aussie close by who can desypher our terminology for ya

And urugol it good to see another Aussie here to help out

Ok this is what I have for you

[/IMG]

Basically all there minus the main attachment....the motor

As for stomping ground vs NSW Maritime.....we generally use Lake Burrendong....its hardly a patrolled stretch of water (one police boat for an area 5 times Sydney harbour lol) so Id play by ear and sus the area out well before hooking a biskit up and be sensible about as not to attract attention.....Then again theres Drivers reserve 20 mins from town on th Macquarie river and its a wide enough section of river that 2 boats with skiers in tow can pass in opposite direction and is never police by anyone but fisheries officers who wouldnt know jack about NSW maritime laws(I hope) so ur generally right to do your own thing provided you know the limits

How long does it usually take for the pics to be scanned by the mods for approval?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information