Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 93 sl650 help

+1

93 sl650 help

Hello all, this is my first thread here.

I have a '93 sl650, Got it for free. It had the ole hole in piston problem when I got it. Found a cylinder and piston for it (.010 over), put in new gaskets and rebuilt carbs. Started right up, and ran strong for a couple months. Now it dies when WOT. still starts in 1-2 seconds with no choke every time, idles smooth, takes off hard, and cruises nice and smooth. Then after bout 5 seconds of 3/4-WOT, she just dies. No sputter or bog or anything, just dead. If I let off the throttle, it will stay running and resume like before.

I have found a few threads on this subject, and have done all the requested fixes, but nothin has worked. And I have also not found any thread where the problem was fixed.

Banned User
    +1
    You put in an oversize piston. You didn't mention if you had the cylinder bored to match the new piston. If you didn't have it bored you are probably sticking the piston.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Freeski.

It does sound like something BryanP is describing. However, you said it ran strong for months, so I'm thinking a clog in the cooling system.

Do a compression test and see what you get. If one cyl is low, you're going to have to remove your cylinder head to see what's going on. You can re-use your head gasket, it's not recommended, but most of us have done it. Just use some 3M Copper spray if you do.

If The cyls are fine, then you need to start looking at the elec. stator or possibly a failing CDI.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem...huh ???? Collapsed fuel lines, filter clogged, no suck on the pulse line for the fuel pump ????. Be sure to post what the fix is !!!

+1
    Thanks guys.

The piston and cylinder match fine, have yet to do a compression test tho.

Also had a few questions about other parts fitting and working on my ski.
    Like the larger pump out of a '94 sl650, I was told it will bolt right on and was a good swap.
    Also wanted to find a good set of 750 cylinders/pistons and drop those in. Will that work ok?
    What are my options for carbs?
    Where can I get a triple outlet fuel pump?
    Where can I get good quality fuel line?

Also, i forgot to mention, what is the little electrical thing in the handlebars? It was all wrapped up with duck tape when I got it, and it was like that the whole time it ran good. I tinkering with the ski and pulled all the tape off of it and mounted it the way it was supposed to be mounted. The next time I ran it is when it started to mess up. Do you think that had anything to do with it?

in the handelbars centered is the MFD (Multi Function Display), it shows speed, gas gauge and other good stuff.

I dont think it should cause a problem but pull it and test it without it connected to see

contact jigler for parts

+1
    Not on a '93. I have no display. This thing is inside the plastic handlebar cover, mounted to the handlebars. Has two wires connected to it. And a big hole in the bottom of it. The whole thing is about the size of a film canister. And I'm pretty sure it's plastic.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeski27 View Post
    Not on a '93. I have no display. This thing is inside the plastic handlebar cover, mounted to the handlebars. Has two wires connected to it. And a big hole in the bottom of it. The whole thing is about the size of a film canister. And I'm pretty sure it's plastic.
    I believe that is Low Oil Buzzer.

contact info for Zigler to get good parts, he posts on here a lot.

copied from his sig

Rock County Jet Ski / WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am-5pm central time mon-fri
    please email; [email protected]

Please see our WEB SITES

New Parts / Products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com

Banned User
    +1
    If your ski is a 93 that little round thing is the beeper for the overheat/low oil alarm. If you haven't done the triple fuel pump, I'm guessing you still have the autocock as well. Get that thing out of there and replace that fuel pump, and I bet your problem goes away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information