Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2011 RXT-X 260 Taking in water

Hi everyone,
    Would really appreciate any ideas you have. My rxtx took on water half way up the motor last week. It only has 22 hours! I took it for a short 10 min ride after getting it off the trailer, it seemed to be running fine. I then parked it on the sand. 15 mins or so later I got it off the sand, it was very choppy. I was taking a passenger for this ride. I jumped on but everytime the passenger got on we would both fall off. After a few attempts I decided to go on my own. As I took off I noticed heavy cavitation. I decided to put it back on the trailer as I suspected something caught in the intake grate. While i was idling around waiting for my mate to back the trailer in I was having a hard time keeping the ski upright, it was easily wanting to tip. I suspected water in the hull and turned it off. Once on the trailer I drained the water. It took about 15 mins.

I have since pulled off the jet pump, drive shaft etc to inspect the carbon seal thinking this would be the problem. Once I got it out I could not see anything wrong with it :s I have checked bailer lines, exhaust, cooling hoses etc and cannot seem to find anything out of the ordinary. I am not sure what else it could be.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

+1
    Sorry for your problems and you have checked the most logical spots. Now check the unusual spots: SPonson Bolts, pump area bolts that go thru the hull, exhaust hose clamp next to the battery ( remove battery for access - NOT fun).

And while you have it apart install 1 or 2 bilge pumps, just for this reason!

Here's a "How To" thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=79658&page=12

see post 111 and 112 for pics in this ski, pdf file on page 3 post 22 is the pdf document

This "How to" is how to do the wiring http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167159

Thanks I will try that and hope for the best.

+1
    I'm assuming this is part of the "obvious" thing you already checked - the bilge plugs. Unscrew them lately and maybe forgot to tighten them back up? While you're looking at them, you may want to check the rubber seals on them to make sure they haven't split or otherwise degraded. Good luck.

+1
    I forgot to mention, make sure the bailer tubes are clipped up high in the hull. They will siphon correctly and if they are loose down low they CAN turn into outside suction and bring water in if plugs are unscrewed.

good luck and post your solution when found.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.rxtx260 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Would really appreciate any ideas you have. My rxtx took on water half way up the motor last week. It only has 22 hours! I took it for a short 10 min ride after getting it off the trailer, it seemed to be running fine. I then parked it on the sand. 15 mins or so later I got it off the sand, it was very choppy. I was taking a passenger for this ride. I jumped on but everytime the passenger got on we would both fall off. After a few attempts I decided to go on my own. As I took off I noticed heavy cavitation. I decided to put it back on the trailer as I suspected something caught in the intake grate. While i was idling around waiting for my mate to back the trailer in I was having a hard time keeping the ski upright, it was easily wanting to tip. I suspected water in the hull and turned it off. Once on the trailer I drained the water. It took about 15 mins.

I have since pulled off the jet pump, drive shaft etc to inspect the carbon seal thinking this would be the problem. Once I got it out I could not see anything wrong with it :s I have checked bailer lines, exhaust, cooling hoses etc and cannot seem to find anything out of the ordinary. I am not sure what else it could be.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ditto on the drain plugs.....Have you switched props or anything like that lately? A buddy of mine had a nozzle failure and almost sunk his ski due to that....Also, NEVER BEACH your ski.

Hope it works out for you!

Thanks for all the input. The bailer lines seem to be sitting fine. As for the drain plugs, I always have them screwed in tightly. The o-rings on the plugs have been moving onto the thread when screwing and unscrewing but end up snug once fully tightened. Will check for any splits.

What do you mean by nozzle failure?

Will keep you up to date with my progress, thanks.

Also forgot to mention I have not changed prop or anything. Ski is completely stock.

Have you filled the hull at home and looked for where the leak is coming from?

I have water coming into my hull and it turns out it is a crack in the through hull fitting.
    When i filled my hull water leaked out from around the carbon seal area so i thought it was all good.

Next time out same thing. I finally confirmed the through hull crack when i put the ski in the water still fully strapped to the trailer and started the engine.

Even at idle i have a constant stream of water coming in which i imagine gets worse the faster it goes.

I haven't filled it properly when its dry and had a look. Will try that next.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information