Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FX HO and FX SHO at higher altitudes

Ok, having done about a months worth of research (on this form and others), there are many people who would say that the FX HO is a better buy than the FX SHO if you're going to keep them fairly stock. One of the big reasons for that is that there is only a 3 mph difference in top end and the SHO will use significantly more gas. So, here's my question. I live and ride at about 5000 feet in elevation. Is there an advantage to have a supercharger at elevation. In other words, if I get a 6 mph dropoff in a NA engine (FX HO), am I going to see the same 6 mph dropoff in the SHO or can the supercharger help compensate for the lack of oxygen?

Also, if I'm going to be doing a fair amount of slalom skiing, would the SHO offer a significant advantage over the HO in getting me up and out of the water (195 lbs)?

I'm looking at both skis. Price is around 5.5K for an 08 SHO with 101 hrs and 7.5K for an 09 HO with 85 hrs. I figure it would take a lot of gas to compensate for the 2k difference in price between the 2 skis. I ride about 12 times a year for 5-6 hours each time. Some of that time is spent pulling kids around on tubes and letting them drive at slower speeds. But a lot of it is also with friends and family taking solo rides and riding it pretty hard (Or really soft if my parents are on them.)

I'm really looking forward to feeling the SHO acceleration if I go that route. I hear it's great.

One more quick question. I have a wave venture that overturned last year when some not so experienced riders were on it. Got it to shore and blew out all the water and rode it hard for a few hours and the ski is fine. Do these ski's overturn easily or is it fairly difficult?

Thanks much for any replies,

Steve

+1
    I can't speak for te HO but I've seen cases on the SHO and FZ's that would normally end up as an overturned ski end up as just a rider in the water swimming back to his ski. They're very stable IMO but then again they're not exactly as small as alot of skis out there either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hvidregn View Post
    Ok, having done about a months worth of research (on this form and others), there are many people who would say that the FX HO is a better buy than the FX SHO if you're going to keep them fairly stock. One of the big reasons for that is that there is only a 3 mph difference in top end and the SHO will use significantly more gas. So, here's my question. I live and ride at about 5000 feet in elevation. Is there an advantage to have a supercharger at elevation. In other words, if I get a 6 mph dropoff in a NA engine (FX HO), am I going to see the same 6 mph dropoff in the SHO or can the supercharger help compensate for the lack of oxygen?

Also, if I'm going to be doing a fair amount of slalom skiing, would the SHO offer a significant advantage over the HO in getting me up and out of the water (195 lbs)?

I'm looking at both skis. Price is around 5.5K for an 08 SHO with 101 hrs and 7.5K for an 09 HO with 85 hrs. I figure it would take a lot of gas to compensate for the 2k difference in price between the 2 skis. I ride about 12 times a year for 5-6 hours each time. Some of that time is spent pulling kids around on tubes and letting them drive at slower speeds. But a lot of it is also with friends and family taking solo rides and riding it pretty hard (Or really soft if my parents are on them.)

I'm really looking forward to feeling the SHO acceleration if I go that route. I hear it's great.

One more quick question. I have a wave venture that overturned last year when some not so experienced riders were on it. Got it to shore and blew out all the water and rode it hard for a few hours and the ski is fine. Do these ski's overturn easily or is it fairly difficult?

Thanks much for any replies,

Steve
    Welcome to the forum. Your welcome to contact me and i can go over these high elevation questions you have. 775--315-0222 Kevin

Thank you Carbonic for the overturn information. Sounds like I should be ok. I'm guessing the HO body is similar enough to the SHO that I would be fine with either.

That was a very generous offer Kevin (to allow me to call you). I'll probably take you up on the offer.

Thanks,

Steve

+1
    I have 58hrs on my SHO and have not even come close to turning it over. These skis are VERY stable!!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChunks View Post
    I have 58hrs on my SHO and have not even come close to turning it over. These skis are VERY stable!!
    Good to know. I'm not concerned about myself. I'm a pretty experienced rider. I'm just worried about when we're out and other people ride it, I don't want it do tip over on them.

Leaning towards the SHO. It's a bit of a splurge in the gas department, but we only put 30-50 hours on a year, so I don't think it will kill me. And being at a higher altitude, I want to get as much power as I can.

+1
    A nice feature if you are going to let other people ride who are inexperienced is the learner mode. Takes the fun right out of it for me, but wouldnt put that machine in the hands of someone else without dumbing it down a bit first. I try not to let other people drive mine though.

+1
    In my experience, my FZR is very difficult to flip over. The only real way to do is is if you are falling off and hold onto the bars as you fall.

+1
    Yeah, low RPM mode is nice to have for those who are less experienced on these things. I try to avoid letting people ride my ski who don't know what they're doing for the simple fact that they think you can turn the craft when you let off of the throttle and they just can't grasp the idea that you need some juice to turn these things. Long story short I just don't trust inexperienced riders with my ski...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    In my experience, my FZR is very difficult to flip over. The only real way to do is is if you are falling off and hold onto the bars as you fall.
    I've seen one case where the ski was actually on it's side until the rider let go of the bars after taking a sharp turn at fairly low speeds with a passenger. It's as close to seeing one flipped over as I've noticed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information