Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Best Cleaning for this..

    Hi guys,

    Just got this ski and the ride plate has this white very rough oxidation, if you will, on it. I tried scrubbing with rough sponge and water but no luck. Not the best pic, but the only pic I have where you can see the ride plate at the bottom. Curious as to what will clean this off, should any light sanding get involved?

    Thanks!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-15_16-41-38_692.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	263307


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkane121 View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just got this ski and the ride plate has this white very rough oxidation, if you will, on it. I tried scrubbing with rough sponge and water but no luck. Not the best pic, but the only pic I have where you can see the ride plate at the bottom. Curious as to what will clean this off, should any light sanding get involved?

    Thanks!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-15_16-41-38_692.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	263307
    may look into replacing your scrificial anode. If the bottom looks like that...a lil 220grit and a random orbital sander will do a nice job.

  3. #3
    If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas/Waxahachie
    Posts
    2,340
    +1
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    may look into replacing your scrificial anode. If the bottom looks like that...a lil 220grit and a random orbital sander will do a nice job.
    +1

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    +1
    So, is the Anode easy to replace? I heard they aren't that effective?As far as sanding it, I am not going to ever be putting it in salt water, so once I sand it with 220 that you stated, is there a good paint/finish to coat it with?Thanks for the help!John

  5. #5
    imp0ster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    5,037
    +1
    672
    get some Comet and a red scotch brite. Go to town and what ever's left in the pits is left.

  6. #6
    Comet as in the stuff in the Green can? Interesting.. Once I get to the pit, will sanding help any? And again, if I do sand is there any good coating that will stick good?

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    imp0ster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    5,037
    +1
    672
    Yes the stuff in the green can. If it's worth keeping then we soda blast it and zinc chromate it before paint. You cannot get all the corrosion out of the pits. The small stuff that isn't worth going through the trouble with we just zinc chromate and paint over with something durable.

    I'm also betting the bolts that hold it in won't be the easiest to remove. Make sure you have an easy-out on hand before removing that plate.

  8. #8
    Ok. Yeah I am not planning on removing the plate, just planning on lying underneath the machine

    Thanks for the help I'll give these ideas a good try!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    107
    This might sound obvious but make sure you wear gloves and eye protection if you're laying down there. Safety first!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackops View Post
    This might sound obvious but make sure you wear gloves and eye protection if you're laying down there. Safety first!
    Will definitely be doing that!! Wouldn't want acid in my eye!

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What is best Ride Plate for this set-up?
    By LS2000 Cop in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
  2. JAX riders...who's in for this weekend?
    By ashstott40 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 01:55 AM
  3. What mods give you the best bang for the buck?
    By Phil in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 07:10 AM
  4. Best rpm for gas mileage
    By Kinchyle in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 03:57 PM
  5. laptop computer---best bang for the buck?
    By watermedic in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •