battery discharging

I just bought a 99 gp800 so I don't know a lot about it. The battery was dead when I brought the ski home, put in a new battery had to reset the security code and everything seemed to work ok. Didn't try to actually start it, just got it to turn over. Went back a few days later to try to start it and the battery was completely drained. Recarged battery and had to reset code to get it to turn over again. When I pulled the battery cable off the battery it arced so I know it was still pulling current even though it was turned off. Any suggestions on what is causing it to drain the battery, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    This used to happen to me with ALL my waverunners. I wish I had an answer but I don't. My father has owned 3 boats & he always purchases the PERKO battery switches to prevent battery drainage because it happens to boats too.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverbob View Post
    I just bought a 99 gp800 so I don't know a lot about it. The battery was dead when I brought the ski home, put in a new battery had to reset the security code and everything seemed to work ok. Didn't try to actually start it, just got it to turn over. Went back a few days later to try to start it and the battery was completely drained. Recarged battery and had to reset code to get it to turn over again. When I pulled the battery cable off the battery it arced so I know it was still pulling current even though it was turned off. Any suggestions on what is causing it to drain the battery, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    If it's arcing you have a short somewhere.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    This used to happen to me with ALL my waverunners. I wish I had an answer but I don't. My father has owned 3 boats & he always purchases the PERKO battery switches to prevent battery drainage because it happens to boats too.
    Welcome back Alex have not seen you on the forum for a while.

Thanks PWCManic
    The problem with using battery disconnects is I have to reprogram the the security codes each time I hook the battery backup. Is this normal or do I have a problem in the gauge cluster?
    Another suggestion I had was that the rectifer is bad, has anyone had experience with this problem?
    I am just trying to find possible causes others have experienced with this problem before I tear into it.

Thread Information