Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

First ski, family with small children

Hey all, I'm looking to buy my 1st ski. From researching here looks like Yamaha's waveventure 700 would be a good 1st choice? I have very limited funds so mid to later 90's should be doable. My children are 9 and 11 so I don't need anything too fast for a few years. I think a 3 seater with a smaller engine should be good enough. According to the info gathered here the 700 seems very durable. Hate to have wife and kids stranded in the middle of a lake.

I figure now is a good time to start looking, just won't be able to water test but I do have an auto compression tester. I used it on my old Evinrude OB, are its spark plug threads the same as the 700cc?

I'm in the NJ/PA/NY area. What would be a ball park price figure?

Does anyone here have one in the area for sale? I don't have enough posts to ask in the classified section. Looked in craigslist but nothing in my range.

Sorry about the long post. Any input would be appreciated

+1
    A '98 or '99 XL760 would be great for you. Bulletproof 760 2-stroke motor, and lots of room in hull to work on it if needed. Should be able to get one with trailer for $1,000 or less.
    '97 or earlier will have the "Miami Vice" color scheme; turquoise, purple, etc..
    Read up here to find out how to do comp test correctly. If you can find one with 100 hours or so, great. You should be able to get around 200 hrs before needing a top end.
    Spend 1/2 a day here searching so you know how to check ski over.
    Welcome and good luck.

Thanks for replying, that was really quick. I've been lurking around here for about a week now so a little more familiar with a few things like impeller to wear ring clearance, blue fuel line problems, exhaust build-up blockage problems, etc.

One of the reasons to buy from a member here would be their knowledge of the aforementioned so I don't have to deal with them

I'm on the road alot now a days so I can't wrench as much as my younger days.

Does anyone have a XL or Venture mid to late 90's to part with?

Banned User
    +1
    I don't know about other brands, but I have a 99 Polaris 3 seater with a 700 two cylinder. It does 50 MPH easily and is a good fun ride. I have taken my 3 year old out a few times on it and she loves it. What you are looking for would be perfect for you. Its more fun than you would think.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    A '98 or '99 XL760 would be great for you. Bulletproof 760 2-stroke motor, and lots of room in hull to work on it if needed. Should be able to get one with trailer for $1,000 or less.
    '97 or earlier will have the "Miami Vice" color scheme; turquoise, purple, etc..
    Read up here to find out how to do comp test correctly. If you can find one with 100 hours or so, great. You should be able to get around 200 hrs before needing a top end.
    Spend 1/2 a day here searching so you know how to check ski over.
    Welcome and good luck.
    +1

I;m looking @ a couple now.

1, 1996 Seadoo GTI 717, about 100 hrs on craigslist $1100. From the pics looks decent. Says fresh exhaust? Recent tune-up, winterized, trailer, but no cover-been garaged,

2, 1996 Yamaha Waveventure 700, about 250 hrs, cover, $1400. Says runs strong, no trailer, but needs a drive shaft-spines are wearing out so it's skipping. With this one I have to search for a trailer and fix the shaft. What a PITA. I see a trailer about 40 miles from the seller for $79 still waiting on reply.

What could it mean "fresh exhaust"?

For me I would look at the one with the least hours on it. From the sounds of it the seadoo seems like the best.

As for fresh exhaust my guess would be a new system but not sure.

Went to look at the 96 GTI. Hull is just ok, lots of gouges and seat + front fairing faded.

Compression 152 each.

It does have a new-used exhaust don't know reason for it.

Still has the gray Tempo fuel line.

Drive shaft bearings serviced (looks like new rubber boots)? Shined a flash light from jet intake and clearance looks acceptable. Impeller cone doesn't look like it has any way to add gear oil (no hex filler screw)?

Engine bay looks dirty and oily. Doesn't know how to check hours-how he knows 100 hours is a mystery. Converted to premix. Says was winterized. Tried to start it but eventually battery died so I guess battery was weak to start with, weak spark too?

Told him I would think about it.

+1
    I'll take a dirty-on-the-outside, clean-on-the-inside ski any day over the opposite. If it's nasty inside the hull it probably wasn't taken care of mechanically.
    What city are you in?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information