Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decision time: 2008 FX HO or 2010 FX HO Cruiser

I'm a lucky guy. I've rented a few skis over the years, but I'm ready to buy and I have two good options. I just can't decide between them. I'll be using the waverunner for both fast-off-the-line playtime, and for long-distance cruising. I'll be taking it to Lake Shasta this summer and plan to do a lot of exploring. Top-end speed isn't very important to me.

Option 1: 2008 FX HO, 20 hours, for $7100. This is the only year with the Nano hull and 1100cc engine combination. It gets great mileage, top marks in reliability, and this is a great price. But it's a non-Cruiser model, so it doesn't come with cruise control or tie-down cleats, both of which I'd like to have. And it's not as fast off the line as

Option 2: 2010 FX HO Cruiser, brand new, $10000. With the 1800cc engine, it'll be faster off the line but I'm worried about both worse gas mileage and flimsy hull quality, both of which have been discussed here a GreenHulk. All of my research points to 15% less fuel efficiency with the 1800 engine.

So, here are my questions

- What is the difference in the 0-30 time between the 2008 FXHO and the 2010 FXHO. I can't find any numbers for the 2008.
    - For people who've lived with skis for a long time, what's more important to you - fast acceleration or fuel efficiency?

Which one of these would you choose? Which would be the most fun?

Hi Ron
    Welcome to the forum!

They are the same motor, the cruiser has a few extras but fuel wise they are the same n 0 - 30 times will be very close.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KostaSHO View Post
    Hi Ron
    Welcome to the forum!

They are the same motor, the cruiser has a few extras but fuel wise they are the same n 0 - 30 times will be very close.
    The 2008 FX HO and 2010 FX HO do NOT have the same engine. the 07 has the MR-1 and the '10 has the n/a 1800cc.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    The 2008 FX HO and 2010 FX HO do NOT have the same engine. the 07 has the MR-1 and the '10 has the n/a 1800cc.
    Sorry ur right i was pretty sure that they started bring out the ho 1.8 in 2008 but they didnt they only started in 2009.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    If I had to choose, I would choose the 2010 for one simple reason. You can purchase the extended warranty and have 3-4+ years of worry free skiing. Also the 1800CC is a great motor

+1
    But for $10K you don't want to go SHO? Worried about the supercharger?

If you want acceleration and top end then SHO is the high end for sure. Fuel efficiency is debatable because if you go as slow as say HO and keep the rpm down then you are not going to find a huge difference. Your profile doesn't say where you live but if in my area I'd be glad to let you test ride... But mine is not for sale.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post

- For people who've lived with skis for a long time, what's more important to you - fast acceleration or fuel efficiency?

Only you can answer that.........totally depends on what you will be using the ski for. I would be inclined to go for the 2010.....the range is around 100 miles compared to 120 for the MR1, but better acceleration & also the cruiser has a much better stand up riding position......the handle bars are taller then the non cruiser

+1
    I've got an 05 FXHO cruiser and LOVE IT! The MR-1 motor rocks. It sips gas compared to my Honda R-12x and especially the 215hp 4-tec seadoo motor in my jetboat.

I'd like to ride a 1.8L, either way you'll get a great ski. Personally if I had the cash and you are going to keep the ski for a while I'd go for the crusier... the seat on the crusier is worth at least a thousand! I think the gas mileage difference won't be too much different and the 1.8L won't have any strain at all.

You know the reliability is there on the MR-1 as it's a preferred rental ski with the capability to go 1,000 hours, I wouldn't expect anything less from the 1.8L.

however 3 grand is a big difference... the MR-1 will probably hold its value better since it's already taken it's showroom hit... Tough choice indeed. Seriously, the seat on the crusier models is so comfy, every one comments on mine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post

It depends on your riding style...

I like to go out and tear up the lake and spend little time just cruising around. I enjoy it, I'm like a kid doing so but not everyone wants to get wet and carve up the lake but I'll take speed and acceleration all day. Sure you burn fuel doing so but I never would've gotten in to this if I was worried about fuel.

Does anybody know any "official" 0-30 time for the 2008 FX HO?

Also, does anyone know if the 1800cc engine has had any more failure rates than the 1100cc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information