Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Some things are just plain cool

So I'm in San Diego for a science geek convention. I love naval ships and WW II aircraft. The USS Midway is in harbor and is a fully outfitted museum so Budger and I spent the afternoon touring the ship. This is completely amazing and should definitely be a destination if you're ever in SD, Cali. Two things just blew my doors off. Ever since I was a kid I've been in love with the F4U Corsair fighter plane. They had one fully restored looking brand spanking new. Budger just laughed because I was like a kid in the candy store taking pics of the plane.

The coolest thing had nothing to do with machines. They had a guy presenting at a booth in the hangar. He is a WW II vet and took part in the storming of Omaha beach....the same place depicted in Saving Private Ryan. He said he spent 28 days holed up on the beach before they were able to march inland. He had pictures of himself with both Tom Hanks and James Francis Ryan. How cool is that? Knowing we were talking to a guy that endured that had Budger in tears.

$36 for both of us tour the museum and priceless memories to last a lifetime!!!!

KJ

+1
    Sweet report! My buddy who was never in the military is going to SD next week and is geeked about touring the Midway. We talked about his upcoming tour for an hour last week.

It was stationed in Japan when I was in the Navy. Now I'm feeling old...

+1
    Now I'm feeling old... That's b/c you are, you old geezer. LOL.

Yep, great report. The wife and I took a little tour today traveling across the Miss. Gulf Coast. Coming home w/stopped and visited Fort Pike (1815ish). Well, basically, I dragged her around the fort. I love that crap... lol. Every time we pass through Mobile, AL, I take a look over at their battle ship, the USS Alabama. It's always the same conversation - Me: "Hey, aren't we ahead of schedule?" Her: "We are not stopping to go look at that rust bucket - keep driving..." lol

Wow that is sweet, have fun there.

+1
    Neat story Kev!. When I was in the Navy I was in the Philippines for 17 days and toured a WWII Submarine docked there!. It was so cool to actually be on a sub. I looked thru the periscope and noticed it had 3 clicks to zoom in with. I tried it and couldn't believe how close things got with the final click! WOW> easy pickins for hunting ships.

I was on the Aircraft Carrier USS Eisenhower CVN-69. We had the USS New Jersery come along side us while out to sea. that was cool too. we were 1100 feet long and the battleship was 700 or so. The long front of the Battleship is way cool to see from a aircraft carriers view. Neat stuff. Dolphins gathered between the ships and rode the surf in between as we went along. They like the pressure wave the ships make I guess.lol Surfing at its finest.

+1
    Anyone here or coming to san diego PM me. I will make sure you get the ride of your life.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    Anyone here or coming to san diego PM me. I will make sure you get the ride of your life.
    Your a good man Joe, and offering to Polairs folks also

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Mobile, AL....I take a look over at their battle ship, the USS Alabama. It's always the same conversation - Me: "Hey, aren't we ahead of schedule?" Her: "We are not stopping to go look at that rust bucket - keep driving..." lol
    Too bad. I've been in that ship about 14 years ago. That is a neat tour as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Sweet report! My buddy who was never in the military is going to SD next week and is geeked about touring the Midway. We talked about his upcoming tour for an hour last week.

It was stationed in Japan when I was in the Navy. Now I'm feeling old...
    I had scoured the web site for the Midway to see which aircraft they had on display. I was bummed when the site didn't list any Cosairs. So, when I walked in the hangar and saw that Corsair I just about freaked. Imagine a 7 year old kid on Christmas morning with his most favorite present under the tree. That's how I was today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate33 View Post
    Your a good man Joe, and offering to Polairs folks also
    polaris owners are people too... actually they are some of the nicest people i have ever met.

John,

ever rode a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds on a ski at 90 mph?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information