+1

I Lost A Nice One

Yesterday I departed Rudee Inlet on my jet ski and ran about 20 miles South off of False Cape. I trolled for a couple hours in good fish marks but no bite. I later heard there was a striper and tuna bite a lot further out. I came back and fished around Cape Henry in lots of bait and a couple of whales. It was nice early on, then by noon the wind went SE and picked up to 15-20.
    The Virginia Beach Polar Plunge was taking place at 1400 and I had some friends that were going to take a dip. I got off of the beach and took several pictures of groups of people making their plunge into the chilly Atlantic.
    I made the mistake of getting caught in a big swell and got pushed too close into the breakers as I was snapping away. I almost took my own Polar Plunge (except I have a dry suit and survival suit on).
    Unfortunately as I was engulfed by the wave, I lost my Nikon D-40 and a nice telephoto lens. I was really bummed to see it disappear into the frothy breaking waves as I turned to get away from shore. I have had it about 4 years and taken it out on the water hundreds of times and shot thousands of pictures with it. I guess a burial at sea was due and appropriate.
    I did not catch anything today but I sure lost a nice one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskibrian View Post
    Yesterday I departed Rudee Inlet on my jet ski and ran about 20 miles South off of False Cape. I trolled for a couple hours in good fish marks but no bite. I later heard there was a striper and tuna bite a lot further out. I came back and fished around Cape Henry in lots of bait and a couple of whales. It was nice early on, then by noon the wind went SE and picked up to 15-20.
    The Virginia Beach Polar Plunge was taking place at 1400 and I had some friends that were going to take a dip. I got off of the beach and took several pictures of groups of people making their plunge into the chilly Atlantic.
    I made the mistake of getting caught in a big swell and got pushed too close into the breakers as I was snapping away. I almost took my own Polar Plunge (except I have a dry suit and survival suit on).
    Unfortunately as I was engulfed by the wave, I lost my Nikon D-40 and a nice telephoto lens. I was really bummed to see it disappear into the frothy breaking waves as I turned to get away from shore. I have had it about 4 years and taken it out on the water hundreds of times and shot thousands of pictures with it. I guess a burial at sea was due and appropriate.
    I did not catch anything today but I sure lost a nice one.
    Brian, as soon as I opened this post and saw there were no attachments, I knew exactly what the title inferred. I'm sorry for your loss, my friend. And yes, all things considered, it was an apt burial. Perhaps, in another life, 1000 years from now, that little camera will be the seed to a great coral reef that you can pull some keepers off of.

If you don't mind, post up your next "catch" when you replace it.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I have a Nikon D-3100 that I bought last year, I preferred the D-40 so I have been using it mostly. I did lose my favorite lens that was on the D-40. It was a 70-300mm tele-macro lens, that enabled me to get some nice shots from a distance. I also lost an 18-55mm lens that was in my bag. I probably lost about $1300.00 in that brief moment. I can replace them for a lot less than that. For now I will get another tele-photo lens and use it on my D-3100. I will also try and get into the habit off putting the strap around my neck. Ha! Live and learn.

Thread Information