Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Riva (Delphi) 50s

Anyone ever hear of any issue with running these besides myself?

+1

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Tons of happy reading there! The point I am trying to establish is that the Riva's have problems at higher pressures. You can tell by my sig I like Riva products but these are a bad choice for those running pressures higher than 60-61 psi fuel pressure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Tons of happy reading there! The point I am trying to establish is that the Riva's have problems at higher pressures. You can tell by my sig I like Riva products but these are a bad choice for those running pressures higher than 60-61 psi fuel pressure.
    I generaly see issues with them above 64-65lbs at idle. Much higher than that and good luck even getting it to start. When I first posted this info a couple years back about the delphi injectors I was told that it was BS and this BS info killed the value of the riva injectors. LOL It is a fact that they cannot handle high pressure at idle. Why do you guys think that the bosch 50's idle with A/F in the 10's and the delphi's idle in the 12's with a riva ecu? It is because the delphi injectors react very slow at high pressure and with the very short duty cycle at idle they barely react. Truth is that the fueling at idle with a riva ecu isnt much different than a stock ecu. It is the delphi injectors that clean up the idle because they dont flow as much fuel at 58lbs idle pressure as a bosch or most any other decent injector.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    I generaly see issues with them above 64-65lbs at idle. Much higher than that and good luck even getting it to start. When I first posted this info a couple years back about the delphi injectors I was told that it was BS and this BS info killed the value of the riva injectors. LOL It is a fact that they cannot handle high pressure at idle.
    :BS-FLAG: can't get the extra smileys to work but you know what i mean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    :BS-FLAG: can't get the extra smileys to work but you know what i mean
    Ok Fizzle, so what part of his post are you saying is BS? I'm all ears on this as I know from my own experience the trouble I had with these. Maybe you have had some experience (good or bad) that you wish to share.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Ok Fizzle, so what part of his post are you saying is BS? I'm all ears on this as I know from my own experience the trouble I had with these. Maybe you have had some experience (good or bad) that you wish to share.
    my bad.. I was just messing with Jim about how people called BS 2 years ago even though he was right all along

+1
    Good thread, I have wondered about this myself for awhile. I have run the Riva ECU and Riva/Delphi 50s for quite awhile and with different superchargers. Never had an issue with them, but have not run them with anything bigger than my ET137 either. I have a Riva RRFPR and my AFRs are pretty good all the way up without the boost reference line hooked up, so I can always attach that if needed.

I think what Jim said is important to understand ... the Riva 50s don't like their IDLE pressure changed very much, and they will lock up at 64 psi at idle. But remember that Jerry ran the Riva ECu and Riva 50s on his first turbo setup with a Les Cooke RRFPR, up to 20 psi boost, and had no issues. I think people sometimes misunderstand and assume you cannot run the Riva 50s with a rising rate FPR ... but that is not true. If people have had troubles with the Riva 50s at WOT with a RRFPR, I would like to hear about it. I don't recall hearing about that, but may have missed it.

I think for people with the Riva ECU, the Riva 50s tend to work quite well, and even usually work well with a RRFPR. Just don't jack with the idle pressure much.

+1
    The Delphi/Lucas injectors, in general, have an issue in the lower RPMs with idle-ability due to the spray pattern. People usually opt for Bosch or Siemens-Dekas over delphi injectors. Also, their pulse width on the 42s is unknown and there is 0 information on them. Even the manufacturer couldn't respond to me when I asked for modifier table info. I see crazy trims that I am unable to dial in when around 600-700RPM.

I have also seen where a ramped IFR table is needed on the delphis in the upper RPM range due to the injector not flowing in a linear pattern at higher pressures. This caused the AFR to lean out while it was perfect around mid throttle.

This is what I have found tuning numerous GM 3.8s but the injector is the same and the problems are the same no matter what the injector is in.

FYI if you all are dumping thousands into any engine then $30 to have the injectors flow benched is a no-brainer. You'll find that the term "flowmatched" means sh!t when you see how off some of them are.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information