Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

southern washington state in pacific northwest

which are first mods for Fzr besides intake?

Hey Hulksters. I'm new to this forum but been riding hard for about 20 years. REALLY appreciated all the FZR knowledge on this forum so I signed up. Just bought a new 09 Fzr yesterday with zero hours so I need to put the gp1300r w/riva 1 out to pasture. Just couldnt pass up a brand new $9000.00 FZR with warranty. I put alot of mods on my other skiis but they were all simple 2 strokes so I'm a total newbie to 4 stroke supercharged technology. Will definitely get the R&d top loader aquavien intake grate before I ride.

My mod questions are this...
    1. got a 4 year warranty so hesitant to do riva stage 1 now but knowing me I probably will eventually cuz it was killer on my gpr.
    What other mods should be done first? ride plate, impeller..??? ( I know that dealers will have a huge problem with ANY mods)

2. which ride plate? (have a shredmaster on my gpr and sxr and like it) the fzr is about 17 inches longer than gpr so I'm assuming the stock plate will "feel" more playful since its shorter than aftermarket plates. I debated going to a skooter that was so much longer but love the look of the FZR and read that it feels lighter than a gpr. (only test drove once for 5 measly minutes years ago)
    Dont want to take ANY chances with bucking so the ride plate has to be full proof (or should I say fool proof? ) I almost didnt buy the FZR when I saw the posts on fzr bucking 2 nights before I picked it up. Your threads were outstanding at explaining that situation.

Thanks again for your yami knowledge. Looking forward to hearing from you Fzr gear heads.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    R&D intake grate for safety!, you can use any plate you want.....but you should do the intake grate FIRST

+1
    I'd go grate, ribbon removal, air intake, FF exhaust and then go from there...

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Welcome..... R&D Intake Grate, Ribbon Delete, Air Intake, Exhaust (Free-Flow or RIVA Thru-Hull <<<My Personal favorite)...then Ride plate....VX for speed, Riva/R&D for rough water riding.

+1
    First would be the R&D Intake grate. After that, any mods you do kind of need to be done as a package (except ride plate). Once you do the ribbon delete and air intake, you'll most likely find that you are on the limiter, so will need to do a prop re-pitch. For ride plates, it depends on your riding. If you ride on smooth to moderate chop, the R&D is great (handling and top speed). For the ocean (rough chop) the Worx plate can't be beat in my opinion.

Thanks guys. great input. What is the ribbon removal? Is that something bypasses by the free flow exhaust?
    Do you guys all concur that a dealer will not want to service any warranty stuff if I make these mods? (I'm figuring they wont but it I've ALWAYS modded my skiis)
    I never ride in ocean- 4 different boat launches are 30 mins from my house so I ride in lakes or rivers which generally have moderate chop (the gpr was excellent in stability and handling at top speed) - I assume the R&D ride plate is longer than stock so will the boat feel any longer or is the length factor really not that noticeable?
    How do you guys like those customer jerry ride plates?
    Please keep the comments coming - I appreciate it.

Oh and is break in period on a 4 stroke 5 or 10 hours?
    Should I wait to do air intake mods after that period?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Its a floater! View Post
    Oh and is break in period on a 4 stroke 5 or 10 hours?
    Should I wait to do air intake mods after that period?

You can do the other mods now. No need to wait for the break in period. After a few hours of running consider that ski broken in.

Also, don't forget the pump seal kit for the R&D intake grate and don't forget that the greenhulk coupon code will save you 10% off of those items when you shop in the forums online store

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Its a floater! View Post
    Thanks guys. great input. What is the ribbon removal? Is that something bypasses by the free flow exhaust?
    Do you guys all concur that a dealer will not want to service any warranty stuff if I make these mods? (I'm figuring they wont but it I've ALWAYS modded my skiis)
    I never ride in ocean- 4 different boat launches are 30 mins from my house so I ride in lakes or rivers which generally have moderate chop (the gpr was excellent in stability and handling at top speed) - I assume the R&D ride plate is longer than stock so will the boat feel any longer or is the length factor really not that noticeable?
    How do you guys like those customer jerry ride plates?
    Please keep the comments coming - I appreciate it.
    this is the the sleeve you use to replace the factory ribbon in the intake manifold opening
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1154

The R&D plate won't make the ski feel any longer. The custom "Jim's" VXR ride plate will be the fastest plate for the FZR
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1652

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information