Thread: Charging question 951cc GSX Ltd
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM #1
Charging question 951cc GSX Ltd
I have a new battery of about 6 months ago. I charge it all
the way up with a battery tender. When I run the ski over several
hours I get the low volt battery warning and eventually it is noticeable
weaker starting. 951cc 1998 GSX LTD
I put a meter on it while it was running (on the charger leads to the
battery) and saw 14.36 volts at moderate RPM's. Is this within range
or is my charging circuit defective?
As I recall the battery was at 12.89 resting after full charge cycle.
01-10-2007, 10:23 AM #2
That sounds right check all the cables make shore thay are cleen and tite.
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM #3snapper455Guest
unhook the tender after it is charged and see if it holds a charge, Water level in batt?? ck the pins on the plug at the mag cover, Corroded? ck them at the black box under the grab handle, ck the grounds inside the black seleniod box, corroded? after riding for 3 hours whats the batt voltage w/motor off?
ck for corroded fuses in the MPEM and the black box
01-11-2007, 12:22 AM #4
take the battery out of the seadoo and see if it will take a charge 13.8volts . if you left the battery in the ski with out the tender on it , and let the battery go compleatly dead before charging it; it could have a dead cell which would drain the other cells . seadoos will ruin a battery in about two week if left sitting . my gel battery came with a disclaimer about seadoo and their drain on batteries .
01-11-2007, 01:29 AM #5
All of this is good input.
I don't leave the battery tender on other than to charge it a day
before I use it. It sits for weeks at a time.
Maybe a cell has gone bad. That seems like a sympton. Charging
circuit looks OK, but less longevity because battery is only partly there.
Is it OK to leave a battery tender on all the time?? I am familar with
trickle chargers on boats, I always left them on. These little PWC batteries
didn't seem like they could take permanent incoming charging.
How can you tell if one cell is bad??
01-14-2007, 07:19 PM #6
- Join Date
- Jul 2005
- euxton nr chorley lancashire, england
i would just get a new battery, cos your ski is charging to much to compensate a duff battery, get one soon cos your electrics are working overtime to try and charge a duff battrie
01-14-2007, 07:36 PM #7
- Join Date
- Feb 2006
- Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
Tom, get a Deka ETX16L Gel battery. Don't let it go dead, always disconnect one lead if it sits more than two weeks. The gel has more ccamps than the lead-acid. These batteries will last for years if you don't let them completely discharge. Price around $74.00. Get at any Deka dealer.
01-14-2007, 09:00 PM #8
Thanks! I'll get one of them. I was never comfortable with these
super small lead acid batteries with fluid.... I'm in super hot temperatures
much of the time, even in the garage it's probably 85 degrees, enough
to cook a battery even it's doing nothing!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Jdmcrx in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 1Last Post: 08-31-2013, 01:02 PM
By Jdmcrx in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 0Last Post: 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM
By coolcarpeople in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 4Last Post: 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
By coolcarpeople in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
By tomgtv in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)Replies: 8Last Post: 01-20-2007, 07:31 PM