Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1

Intercooler Maintenance (pics inside)

The story goes like this:

I got a bit of weed in the impeller so I needed to tip the ski on its side to get the weed out. I tipped the Exhaust side down. Once I rolled it back I noticed that the clear tube (inspection tube) off the air box had about 1/2 an inch on oil in it (damn 4 strokes, this never happened to my trusty STX-R). I assume some oil in the catch can made it's way to the air box (via the head maybe??) because of the angle the ski was on??? Ideas?

Given the oil in the tube and the ski running about 4-5mph slower at top speed also (probably dropped 1/2 PSI too) I decided to check the intercooler. This is what I found:

Bypass Outlet

Main Outlet

Intake

So, now I have to clean this mess.

In my Subaru STI Race Car I clean the Intercooler once a year. Its normally got a fair bit of oil in it (but not mixed with moisture like this though). We use a little fuel, slosh it all around and pour it out. I let it dry for a few days and put it back on. Is this the way you'd clean the 300X Intercooler. Any reason NOT to use fuel?

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    yer pretty standard mal, just slosh a bit of fuel around rince it out with water, (i use my hot pressure washer the heat actually helps dry it out real quick) let it drain for an hr or so in the sun then its good to go if you stand the front of your ski up pull the tube off and place a rag there it will drain any oil left in the airbox, dont stress to much the oil is good for the s/c btw it wouldnt have been from tipping the ski as any oil in the can would have ran back to the sump unless the can got very full upside down as the top fitting extends down into the can as per pic i once posted.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    The story goes like this:

I got a bit of weed in the impeller so I needed to tip the ski on its side to get the weed out. I tipped the Exhaust side down. Once I rolled it back I noticed that the clear tube (inspection tube) off the air box had about 1/2 an inch on oil in it (damn 4 strokes, this never happened to my trusty STX-R). I assume some oil in the catch can made it's way to the air box (via the head maybe??) because of the angle the ski was on??? Ideas?

Given the oil in the tube and the ski running about 4-5mph slower at top speed also (probably dropped 1/2 PSI too) I decided to check the intercooler. This is what I found:

Bypass Outlet

Main Outlet

Intake

So, now I have to clean this mess.

In my Subaru STI Race Car I clean the Intercooler once a year. Its normally got a fair bit of oil in it (but not mixed with moisture like this though). We use a little fuel, slosh it all around and pour it out. I let it dry for a few days and put it back on. Is this the way you'd clean the 300X Intercooler. Any reason NOT to use fuel?

Cheers, Mal.
    How many hours? First time you're cleaning it I guess?

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    45 hours.

Is the colour/consistency normal for a water to air intercooler. I assume it's condensation that's caused the oil to look like this? Unless there is a breach between the water jackets and core? Has that ever been an issue on the 250/260 in the past (is it the same cooler that was used on 250/260?)

Cheers.

Banned User
    +1
    45 hours.

Is the colour/consistency normal for a water to air intercooler. I assume it's condensation that's caused the oil to look like this? Unless there is a breach between the water jackets and core? Has that ever been an issue on the 250/260 in the past (is it the same cooler that was used on 250/260?)

Cheers.
    Yep happens to the 50-60 as well. Normal.

+1
    all normal mal forget the advise of changing oil it wont make a difference!!

+1
    45 hours.

Cheers.
    You made it pretty long before cleaning. I was at 38 hrs. before having trouble... I have heard as low as 20, I expect those people are running their oil higher than others.

I agree with NMR on the catch can upgrade... while some will call the condition your IC is in "normal"- I call it a problem that is linked directly to the factory can... you make the call. I don't recall anything in the owners manual that mentions IC cleaning as "normal" maintenance though.

You are correct- it is condensation that's caused the oil to look like that.

+1
    rice man i know this from working with engines every working day of my life 1 point heavier in the oil is not going to fix it. its a boosted engine with a substandard breathing system. cleaning of the i/c would be checked and performed during any service from a good dealer but we choose to do our own this is a performance forum and anyone here picks the crap out of anything extra they have to do, your average joe family would not consider this an issue on his ski as his dealer would keep it in check for him and he isnt after the performance most are seeking here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    cleaning of the i/c would be checked and performed during any service from a good dealer, your average joe family would not consider this an issue on his ski as his dealer would keep it in check for him
    This is true if your Kawasaki dealer's address is in fantasy land! My experience with dealers in these parts is quite the opposite! + dealer is not gonna clean an IC without getting paid to do it.

+1
    apology excepted vman any good dealer over here would factor the cleaning and or checking of the i/c during a service. over here a pwc is considered a luxury item so anyone that can afford is not going to argue the cost of a good service tech maintaining there ski.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information