Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Some advice on changes to be done

All,
    I need to change out my RIVA intercooler. Below is the new setup I'm going with.

2008 Yamaha SHO Cruiser - about 78 hours. Changing Clutch, current clutch isn't goen but with engine out I decided to replace.
    Intake Manifold Upgrade
    Free Flow Exhaust (may change to rear exit)
    Pump Tunnel Re-inforcement
    R&D SHO High Performance Ride Plate (planning to change to a modified stock)
    R&D SHO Aquavein Intake Grate
    Anti-Cavitation Cone
    RIVA Sponsons (may change to R&D or Worx)
    13/22R Prop (changing, not sure to what yet)
    RIVA Intercooler (needs to be changed. I'm thinking Frozenboost, if so which model or RIVA Gen 2)
    RIVA Air Intake
    HKS BOV
    RIVA B1
    RIVA RRFPR
    Reflash ECU (R1 or R2, taking suggestions), ViPec (not really necessary for what I intend to do but I've fond one at a decent price) or the new RIVA/Athena Pro-Series Yamaha ECU

My goals are mid to high 70s, 90/10 Recreational/Race. Items in red I'm seeking advice on.

I'm not into constantly trying to modify my ski. I only went with the B1 because I had some major issues which required me to pull my engine (so while it was out I said why not). I do like the ability to see what's going with your engine which is why I'm looking at the Athena with Display.
    Last edited by rcapone; 02-07-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: change thread title to better suit needs

+1
    With that list, you could easily hit mid 70s on the stock wheel and without RFPR. I have seen FZRs hit 78 with an R2,Riva IC, modded VX plate, and stock repitched prop.

Sponsons - I think they are all fine pieces, but it seems the Riva units are a little under-sized. I have ridden R&D's and liked them a lot!

Prop - Do all your mods first and then re-prop from there.

Intercooler - If you are looking to fab your own, most do the Type 14 Frozenboost, but there are quite a few that have gone with other models and have had success. Personally, I was going to do a Type 14, but I decided to go with the JD aka "Fizzle" IC...AWESOME UNIT!!!!! If you want more info on the JD, PM James (JFizzleJR).

Re-Flash - If you have narrowed your choice down to R1 or R2, I would go R2 which will give you room to grow.

+1
    Thanks for the replies so far. Question, does the JD Intercooler come with piping? I will PM him shortly

Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Question, does the JD Intercooler come with piping? I will PM him shortly
    Absolutely. Comes with everything but a BOV, but you have the choice of BOV flanges depending on what you have/are planning to use. Its in the store at a great price right now:

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1945

+1
    If I hadn't already got my type 14, I would have jumped on this..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    If I hadn't already got my type 14, I would have jumped on this..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Yeah I was about to pull the trigger on the Type 14, but when I found out about the JD becoming available again, for the couple bucks I would have saved doing the 14, I decided the potential fab/install/trial and error head aches weren't worth it to me, so I scooped up a JD aka Fizzle.

+1
    Looks like you will have a good rough water setup. I've never ridden a SHO with Worx sponsons, but I've had the R&D's for quite awhile & they are MUCH better than Riva's. In addition to improving how the ski turns, the larger sponsons give you a lot more stability for offshore riding & make the ski track better too. Another option is the Macc Racing sponsons. They're pricey but give you more adjustability than R&D's, so you have more options for a setup that matches your riding style & varying water conditions.

I recommend going with a Skat prop to replace the Solas. Depending on where you want your rpm's 14/22 or 14/23 should be just about right. You will still have cavitation out of the hole but it won't be near as bad as the Solas. The rough water hookup with the Skat will be much better too. Other options for the best possible hookup & less cavitation would be the Skat longblade or twin prop, but I haven't tested either of them & can't tell you exactly how they will compare. Another thing to consider is the TBM cone. I've only done limited testing with it & had a slight loss in top speed, but that could probably be addresses with a slight repitch on the prop. The rough water hookup with the TBM was REALLY GOOD though...not quite what you'd get from a 14 vein pump but still a huge improvement.

If you're going with an R&D reflash get the R3. It has more timing than the R1 & R2 & is still very rec rider friendly. R&D customized the fuel mapping for a low boost wheel on mine with a lower rev limit for safety since I ride offshore a lot. It's worked great.

Just wondering why you are swapping out the Riva cooler...was it leaking or something?

+1
    Regarding the sponsons....I had a conversation with what most consider a premier performance ski builder here on GH and he said that the stock sponsons are best. His explanation was that the way the hull is designed and how the sponsons influence flow of the water you don't want them to groove like you would on a FZ and other skis. That no matter which sponson you choose it is unlikely you will see any postiive effect (more responsive handling) and could adversely effect rough water riding because of the hull design. It is one of those mods that...won't make much difference unless you have bought it and convinced yourself that it does.

Also go with the Riva intake grate on the SHO. R&D for FZs. SHO is prone to bucking using R&D but not Riva. Use Riva to delete ribbon for your air intake for the SHO.

Don't bother with R1 reflashes, R2.

Rideplate...yes modified stock to Jim's Performance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Regarding the sponsons....I had a conversation with what most consider a premier performance ski builder here on GH and he said that the stock sponsons are best. His explanation was that the way the hull is designed and how the sponsons influence flow of the water you don't want them to groove like you would on a FZ and other skis. That no matter which sponson you choose it is unlikely you will see any postiive effect (more responsive handling) and could adversely effect rough water riding because of the hull design. It is one of those mods that...won't make much difference unless you have bought it and convinced yourself that it does.

Also go with the Riva intake grate on the SHO. R&D for FZs. SHO is prone to bucking using R&D but not Riva. Use Riva to delete ribbon for your air intake for the SHO.

Don't bother with R1 reflashes, R2.

Rideplate...yes modified stock to Jim's Performance.
    If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't try giving advice to others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information