Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Winterize or keep warm?

So I've done all of the requisite searching and have collected all of the procedures for winterizing an 06 RXP. One interesting thing I came across was, instead of winterizing, put a couple light bulbs inside the hull to keep things warm (i.e. never let anything get below freezing).

I live in Charlotte and the RXP is kept in a garage which never gets below 40 degrees. Do I really need to winterize it or can I just keep things warm and start it up for a few seconds every once in a while?

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    I'm in Ct... My garage doesnt drop below 45* even on the coldest of days.. (ie single digits).. I didnt winterize the ski.. just fogged the cylinders and made sure all the water was out .. an 06 maybe different..
    my friend also has his 2008 Yamaha hahahahaha GPR1300 is sitting right next to it and he did the same thing..

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if you keep the temp above 35 you will be fine. it takes consistent temps below 32* to turn water to ice. if you only get below freezing for a couple hours I wouldnt worry as much as having freezing temps over night and half the day...then I would winterize. if you can keep it around 45* you wont have a problem. just fog, put the battery on a timed trickle charger and get all the water out. you should be good to go. I dont winterize here in Illinois till at least December.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    if you keep the temp above 35 you will be fine. it takes consistent temps below 32* to turn water to ice. if you only get below freezing for a couple hours I wouldnt worry as much as having freezing temps over night and half the day...then I would winterize. if you can keep it around 45* you wont have a problem. just fog, put the battery on a timed trickle charger and get all the water out. you should be good to go. I dont winterize here in Illinois till at least December.
    When you say fog, are you referring to the lubing through the injector ports and drowning the engine?

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pittperson View Post
    When you say fog, are you referring to the lubing through the injector ports and drowning the engine?
    i pulled my plugs.. sprayed seadoo lube in.. cranked it without plugs for a few seconds..
    resprayed the cyclinders, then put the plugs in and locked it away..

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    IMO winterizing is the best!

+1
    there is more to winterizing, than just adding antifreeze.

IMO, it is a time, to do some general, preventative maintenance. change engine oil ( 4-stroke), jet pump oil ( 2-stroke) lubricate all cables, lube all bushings, lube steering, fog engine, treat gas so it does not spoil, give everything a good look over, so you can make repairs now, before the next riding season.

Banned User
    +1
    To me Fogging is a must. Even though it is 45 degrees in your garage, what happens the first time you get a 60 or 65 degree day? The metal parts in the ski are still at 45 for quite a while and then you get condensation (water). If that happens inside the engine, guess what you get next.....rust. I had to put my ski outside for a day a month or 2 ago and before I brought it back into my 60 degree garage, I fired it up and let the engine get slightly warm. That way I wasn't bringing a freezing cold engine suddenly into a warm environment and causing condensation on anything.

Is this the stuff that gets sprayed into the cylinders?

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1450

+1
    With my local seadoo dealer closing , i contacted the next closest about their prices. They said the 2011 rotex engines dont need to be fogged- just spray with lube and thats about it???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information