94 Polaris Sl750 Bogging

I have a 94 polaris sl 750 that starts and idles fine revs to half throttle then bogs. It doesnt die it just wont rev as high as it should. It has 120 psi in all cylinders, i have tried different carbs, plugs. Im thinking either the reads or fuel pump maybe? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or might know whats wrong. Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    Have you replaced the fuel pump? Cleaned and or rebuilt carbs????? Start there. Check the fuel pickup in the tank and fuel selector valve. Do all of the necessary fuel system upgrades and see if that fixes it? You mentioned you changed out the carbs. Are they adjusted and jetted correctly?

No i have not changed the fuel pump. I think it may be the stock pump on it. And yes the carbs have been adjusted and jetted properly. Ive read lots of people change to the high output fuel pump with 3 outlets? I was thinking of just getting a rebuild kit for my fuel pump and see if that works. I will check the fuel pickup next. Thanks

the stock fuel pump put out just enough fuel when new, over time it can go bad and will cause one cylinder to run lean and like a lot of people have had happen burn a hole in the piston.

the triple outlet puts out more and feeds each individually, its a great idea to do if your still on the stock fuel pump.

I havent done mine, but I am placing my order with zigler in the next week.

contact john zigler to get the triple outlet fuel pump kit at a great price.

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostridermb View Post
    I have a 94 polaris sl 750 that starts and idles fine revs to half throttle then bogs. It doesnt die it just wont rev as high as it should. It has 120 psi in all cylinders, i have tried different carbs, plugs. Im thinking either the reads or fuel pump maybe? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or might know whats wrong. Thanks!
    In the water or out of the water?

+1
    agreed, you should go through the fuel system COMPLETELY. any ski of this age, needs some love. the polaris fujis are known for poor fuel delivery.

recommend;
    new fuel lines
    new fuel select sw.
    new triple fuel pump upgrade kit
    rebuild & clean cabs, completely, with genuine Mikuni parts

i understand, a "budget" and people do not want to spend the money, but trust me, 99% of the time i see an engine failure here in my shop it could have been prevented with some simple maintenance. ( above parts are less expensive than a motor rebuild)

now, to discuss your "bogging"

it is hard to say, without some tests, but i am wondering if your ski is not going into "limp mode". this is when the CDI will limit RPM's for one reason or another. ( over heat, low oil, low fuel, bad MFD, bad CDI, etc). even though your ski may not be low on gas, over heating, low on oil, etc, your CDI may "think" it is due to a faulty sender, or other reason.

do some searching here, on limp mode, and do some testing....

keep us posted, on your results.

Banned User
    +1
    I dont think the 94s had any kind of limp mode, but it could be a stator issue as well. Anyhow, definitely do all of the fuel system work to rule that out as a problem. Another thing to do would be to check the engine for air leaks. Does it get better or worse if you pull the choke?

When i pull the choke it completely cuts out throttle response and dies out. I had a seadoo before have a similar problem and it ended up being a crank seal. Im hoping thats not what it is. I think ill try going through the fuel system and replacing the fuel pump and see what that does. As for in or out of the water it does it out of the water but last year when I put it in the water it just got worse and it wouldnt even idle under the load of water. Thanks for all the replys!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostridermb View Post
    When i pull the choke it completely cuts out throttle response and dies out. I had a seadoo before have a similar problem and it ended up being a crank seal. Im hoping thats not what it is. I think ill try going through the fuel system and replacing the fuel pump and see what that does. As for in or out of the water it does it out of the water but last year when I put it in the water it just got worse and it wouldnt even idle under the load of water. Thanks for all the replys!
    I always ask the in water out of water question because when you peg the throttle out of the water, the rev limiter quickly kicks in and sounds like a bogging issue (at least to an amatuer like me it did). Along with all the fuel system upgrades as noted above, which should be done regardless of the real problem, I usually go ahead and reset the low and high speed screws to factory settings + as well as ensuring that you are hitting an idle speed of 1200 - 1300 RPM in the water. This translates to high 2000s to low 3000s out of the water, no load. Too low of an idle speed may contribute to tough idling,even dying, in the water. The "carb tuning for girls" post really helped work out my bogging problem with needle settings, idle speed, and carb syncing, I just can't find the post for some reason..........I am still an amatuer at this stuff, so keep in mind I am just throwing out thoughts. When I get stuck, I usually go back to factory and start over.....

Thread Information