Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

Question Potential buy: '97 GTX - Educate me, guys! (Edit: Passed on this one)

Ok, GreenHulk has been excellent to me so far through one potential purchase that fell through (Polaris SLT780), and one that I completed today (Yamaha 1200GP).

Stopping to look at a third potential machine tomorrow afternoon which might complement the Yamaha as the wife's machine.

1997 Seadoo GTX.

I have yet to lay eyes on it, but will hopefully be doing so tomorrow. Pics I have seen so far make it look like a potential gem similar to my 1200GP - appears to be in excellent condition overall, seat, foam, hull in general, etc etc. Definitely does not look like a 15 year old ski. It is stored outdoors by the looks of it, but it's pretty clear that it's been taken care of, at least externally. Comes with both the sport seat, as well as the 3-up seat.

We may butt heads over the engine checks as he seemed to be reluctant to even let me start it...most people winterize deeply up here (including pumping antifreeze into the cooling system) due to the extreme cold we get, so I can understand to some extent why he doesn't want his antifreeze and fogging burned out. That said, if we can't come to some arrangement on performing compression and run tests before the purchase is complete,I will walk away, so more discussion will happen when I actually meet the owner.

That said, if you guys would be so nice as to bring me up to speed on the good, bad, and ugly of this particular year and model, I'd sure appreciate it. What to look for, what to triple-check, and what I'm likely to see and should expect.

I know he wants too much for it (you guys would laugh) but that's something else for us to discuss...and physical appearance does go a long way towards maintaining a value to me, so I'd be willing to overpay somewhat for a good clean or near-cherry machine versus a newer one that's beat into the ground, and as I've mentioned in my other threads, there is a plentiful supply of much newer machines around here that have been beat up, but not a lot of good used ones that haven't been. The new(er) cherries sell for a fortune, the older cherries still command premium prices - only the beat up junk sells cheap around here. Different world in Canadian cottage country, guys.

It also comes with a trailer that I could probably flip for about a decent sum (to offset the purchase price) once I put some lipstick on it in the spring - PWC trailers are HOT commodities around here and command a lot of money in the peak season.

We would be using this, as mentioned, for my wifes machine. She is not that adventurous, so it would be mainly a cruiser. Being a 3up, it's also legal for towing up here (one of the reasons I want a 3up for the second machine) so it would be also used for towing duties - tube and water-skis, if it has the balls for the latter.

So, bring me up to speed so I can go into this with my eyes open. Thanks in advance, everyone.
    Last edited by Oshawapilot; 02-16-2012 at 11:09 PM.

+1
    Show us photos and do tell the price

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    Show us photos and do tell the price
    Like I said, the trailer is a bit of a turd in it's current condition (yes, I even see the missing bearing cap), but it can be prettied up and flipped easily. Been there, done that. It'll fetch $500 easy up here once it's prettied up.

Pics:

The guy is currently asking $3000. See, I told you you'd laugh.

+1
    Holly shit!!! I will get you three for that price if you like. And trust me the trailers will not look like that crap...

Oh and just to let you know thats a 1994-95 gtx

Now i know why he hasnt sold it since last year

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you have hit all the right questions. a 787 is pretty bullet proof. winterizing a 787 takes 10 minutes if he wont do it there is something wrong with it. check the pump area, wear ring clearance. prop condition. out side of that it should pull a tube and a skier. check all the fuel hoses. are they gray? clean carbs? clean fuel selector?

+1
    yea def. an older model ski then you are stating .. and it doesn't have a 787 in it .. maybe the 718 (720) .. like bomb said prob. 94-95

+1
    Holly shit!!! I will get you three for that price if you like. And trust me the trailers will not look like that crap...
    Yeah, I had the same discussion in other threads on my other 2 prospects. The reality is that there's very little middle ground with PWC's up here - either they are new and far outside of what I'm looking to spend, or beat all to hell. Finding something that is older and still in good condition is the holy grail.

Someone in CA had the similar response as you - "come here and scoop them up cheap and easy at a fraction of that cost" more or less, but up here that's not the case - good used PWC's are not a dime a dozen up here like they would be in the warmer climates, and these machines get beat on during the summer season as it is limited time-wise, and they people don't take care of them for the winter. The results is that there's a lot of moderately new junk on the market, and not a lot of older gems...and people still want fortunes for the moderately new junk.

Like I said, it's a different world up here, and simply put, the cost of buying somewhere where this isn't the case (In your case, FL, or the other, CA...etc etc etc) simply isn't justified - airfare and transportation costs would quickly eat up any savings, and I will not buy anything sight unseen ever again after being stung a few years back on an RV I bought from the USA.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 02gpR View Post
    yea def. an older model ski then you are stating ..
    Hmmm..interesting...thanks everyone for bringing this to my attention. I'm asking the owner via email right now what's up with that.

Now i know why he hasnt sold it since last year
    Yes, I noticed the age of the pictures, although I'm not confident stating that they were taken solely for the purpose of sale...I took lots of pictures of my toys over the years just for personal reference. The actual ad on the site it's listed at was posted on January 29'th and has a few hundred hits.

He is in a bit of a remote area which doesn't help his situation though...although work just happens to take me through there (almost right past his door, I'm thinking) several times a week.

+1
    Just did some Google Image searches and it indeed matches the 1995 model year - the 1994 models had a different shape scoop on the front hood, but the 1995 models have the one that matches the pics in the ad. It looks like the hood design changed slightly again in the 1996 model year as well, much less the 1997 model year.

The seller has some 'splainin to do.

So, knowing now that it's ACTUALLY a 1995....opinions? Parts still available? Common problems? Suitability for a tow machine?

+1
    95 GTX should have the 720 or 717 85 HP which is a very reliable engine if it has been properly maintained. The 720 was used in lots of Seadoo models so engine parts are not a problem. That hull is not the best in rougher water as it is quite flat so in chop you get a rough ride. It's great for 360s as the flat hull will swap ends quite easily. It will tow single tubes etc but doing a whip it will bog down easily and the tube will pull the back of the ski around a bit.

If it's in your price range step up to the 96 and up GTX models as they come with the 787 or 800 engine with 110 HP and a better hull for rough conditions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information