Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What would you do? travle to save 1000.00 or buy locally? Need advice from experience

Here is my dilemma... I just bought a 09 RXP-X for my self... Now looking to get a ski for my wife... I have a chance at 2 skis... Both are 2008 RXT-X
    1st ski is in KS (about 7 hours from me...) I can get for 6250 (no cover) about 80 hours.
    2nd ski is about 30 minutes away and has 50 hours with an upgraded solas 14-19 prop and R&D top-loader grate... cover (prce on this is 7250.00)
    Both come with similiar trailers... and are in eqully great shape!

What do you guys suggest? Travel and save 1000.00 (probably spend 300 to travel there) or buy locally for 1000.00 more???
    Not sure what to do... Is the prop and grate worth it???

Ripper
    Last edited by RipNSki; 02-08-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: changed it to R&D grate and prop size

+1
    i would go for the one with less hours, plus its closer to you and has some great starting mods

7 hrs is a long haul and you'd be stupid to think that you can just drive there, test it out and drive right back. Actually, I wouldn't. So now we figure out that you are going to spend money in fuel, food, room and board and 2 days. So what is your time worth? I'd get the closer one myself. Less hours and a good prop. If it doesn't turn out the way you like, you can always go for the further one.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    The closer one has 30 less hours. That's a big difference when a ski only has 80 hours. Plus it comes with a cover and some great upgrades.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Stay Local.

Also, think about if the Trailer is going to be Road Worthy enough to Travel 7 Hours or more on the Road. If it isn't and something goes wrong, that could Potentially Destroy the Ski as well.

+1
    Its always risky going to look at a used ski. They tell you it looks great and you get there and its a piece of crap. Happened to me last weekend. It all worked out well, I came home with a new ski at a great price.

+1
    The more I think about it... The more I'm leaning on buying from a private party locally... Just hate to pay a grand more... but all things considering (less time on SC) I'm thinking I'll look at it and check for tunnel cracks and do a compression check. What should it be anyway? I'm not sure what the compression should be???

Ripper

+1
    Is the price set in stone? Haggle a little. If you got cash in your pocket you would surprised at what you can accomplish if you just ask. Its the middle of winter, its a buyers market right now. If they wont budge on the price walk away. They make new ones everyday.

The ski Im sitting on in the was listed on Craigslist for 6k. I drove away with the ski 2005 RXT with Riva Stage 1 kit,six Seadoo life jackets,river anchor and a 2010 Load-Right double trailer for $3300.

I love to wheel and deal, but I ALWAYS do it face to face. I never haggle over the phone or email and I hate when people try to do that to me...

I wish they were in Australia....those are ultra cheap prices for skis

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    Is the price set in stone? Haggle a little. If you got cash in your pocket you would surprised at what you can accomplish if you just ask. Its the middle of winter, its a buyers market right now. If they wont budge on the price walk away. They make new ones everyday.

The ski Im sitting on in the was listed on Craigslist for 6k. I drove away with the ski 2005 RXT with Riva Stage 1 kit,six Seadoo life jackets,river anchor and a 2010 Load-Right double trailer for $3300.

I love to wheel and deal, but I ALWAYS do it face to face. I never haggle over the phone or email and I hate when people try to do that to me...

That is an awesome deal you got out of the ski! You got lucky on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information