Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2012 Racing Advice

So the 2012 Canadian Watercraft Racing and Freestyle Tour schedule has been announced and I am excited to see a race being set up for Southeastern Ontario, which is my back yard. With a race being run so close I have decided to look into racing this season. I have looked at the IJSBA rule book and tried to decipher it. I have lots of questions and hope I can lean on Greenhulk people for advice.

I have the 2011 RXT X 260 with a few mods. SCOM, R&D Intake Grate, Fizzle 4" Air intake, repitched Solas Prop.

I'm considering doing the ECU through Greenhulk (Stage 1 8350 limiter and no valve train upgrades) and sending the prop back to Speedfreeks to fine tune, but don't want to move into another race class. I just want to run as a novice and stay with the stock class. Is that possible with the mods I have planned?

I also see there are different races to enter. I like to ride long distances through any water conditions and would like more input with endurance races if anyone has any ideas.

ANY info is appreciated and I want to get things all lined up ahead of time (sponsors etc). What should I be looking at for costs per race etc, mods, race types, sponsors, equipment...etc.

Cheers!

Ok, so I am assuming that there are no racers on Greenhulk? lol....

+1
    Most here are into going fast in a straight line(Hydro drags) not closed course racing...

You will be just fine with your mods to run in stock class. There are more people running more than that in stock class....

And If I get to any of the CWA races, look for me to be with Amy Green...See you on the line!!!!

Yes you should be fine for Stock class ad it is probably the best class to run into. I wouldn't do anymore that would put you in a limited class. If this your first time racing then stay stock class. You will find most people are coming back down to stock class since it is easier in the wallet and the wallet doesn't buy wins like open class does

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sidsol View Post
    Yes you should be fine for Stock class ad it is probably the best class to run into. I wouldn't do anymore that would put you in a limited class. If this your first time racing then stay stock class. You will find most people are coming back down to stock class since it is easier in the wallet and the wallet doesn't buy wins like open class does
    The problem is that STOCK class is very close to limited..Truly only differences is adding aftermarket IC and a big wheel....To run a FULL STOCK class ski including the price of the ski can run you almost over 20k!!

Maybe 15k =)

+1
    Another racer here! I race down here in Florida going on 7th season soLike others have said you should be good for stock class! Your ski should do fairly well in novice stock so I recommend throw some bouys out (even if its jugs to a cinder block) and get to practicing when time comes!

Thanks guys, I have been doing as much homework as I can. I have plenty of riding experience on open water and various chop. (the Thousand Islands offers pretty much everything). My main concern was to not over mod my machine to put me in the class with the unlimited budget guys. Just want to get my feet wet this season (no pun intended) and see how that turns out.

So running with the reflashed ECU and the other mods I have will be ok for Novice Stock Class?? What else can you give me any insight with, sponsors, average cost per race, equipment etc??

Quote Originally Posted by Zxspyderz View Post
    Another racer here! I race down here in Florida going on 7th season soLike others have said you should be good for stock class! Your ski should do fairly well in novice stock so I recommend throw some bouys out (even if its jugs to a cinder block) and get to practicing when time comes!

+1
    All of the mods are fine for stock class..No worries!!

Sponsors can be kind of difficult to get since you are a novice with no prior racing. It is also late in the season to try and get sponsors, most of them cut of resumes in Jan. With no prior races, you could probably get Hydro Turf, Jet trim and places like that to sponsor you but for 1st time racers they will give you discount on product only, no cash.

Get a full season under your belt then try to get some next year and hopefully you will have some great race results from this year to tell them about. Getting a race sponsorship is kind of like a job interview, you need to sell yourself to them, tell then how good you are, what races you want to do the next year and how you will best represent them.

As far as cost per race goes, it depends on your promoter, I am not sure how much it is to register each class. Usually around to 45 to 50 USD for each class(novice stock, novice limited etc.)

Equipment can be expensive. you will need some kind of a beach tote and a 4 wheeler to tow your ski in and out of the water, or become really good friends with other races who are willing to help or loan you theirs. You will need a good life jacket, helmet and goggles. Some people recommend leg guards and rididng shoes/boots. A good wetsuit is recommended for your area since the water will probably be cold year round.

Hope this helps!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information