+1

Cleaning oxidation.

Is there any products that I can use on the S/C front cover that will dissolve the oxidation but not hurt the aluminum? I'm trying to avoid excessive elbow grease.. Lol

Thanks!

+1
    I've been told H7 to clean WD40 to maintain. I have some Liqui Tech that I haven't used yet, I'm interested to see how that works in terms of keeping salt off

There are products like Engine Gunk which i used to use on my Supra's engine bay, I tried that on my motor and SC but judging by how it look before it was yanked maybe that doesn't work.......or I didn't do a good job.

+1
    Fluid Film works decent. Spay it on and let it sit for 5-10 minutes so it can penetrate and just wipe off. Works for me.

+1
    Is the cover off the ski? I'm guessing you are looking for some type of aluminum brightener?

Professional detailers use stuff like smitty's super S, but you can get Purple Power at Autozone. Fluid film is a great protectant. I use it often, but it will not brighten or remove heavy oxidation. People use brightener on boat trailers and pontoon boats.

+1
    I used Fluid Film & a scotch brite pad to remove surface corrosion on a few things, but no matter how hard you work it will still have discoloration where the corrosion was. I've seen a few guys have parts media blasted & they come out looking brand new, but that might not the best idea for something like a SC housing.

+1
    Alittle discoloration isn't a big deal, since I'm planning on painting it anyways... We'll have a little experiment, since I have fluid film and all that stuff here... It's not really that bad(I only ride fresh water, if you can call the Mississippi fresh)

+1
    And my conclusion is that the oxidation wasn't really bad enough to show much difference. The fluid film did smooth the surface, but left the discoloration. Next up...Paint!

+1
    If you're planning to paint, I'd recommend you purchase Ospho, or similar, and treat the housing with it prior to painting. It's a phosphorous wash and will darken the aluminum, but that's a non-issue if you're painting anyway. Although I live in a smaller town, my local ACE hardware carried it - it's not expensive and can be applied with a rag or sponge.
    Ospho bonds with and protects the metal chemically from further oxidation and helps the paint adhere.
    Word of caution - when applying Ospho, protect your concrete floor from spills/drips or you'll end up with white stains on your floor that can't be removed.

Also, I'd mask off the portion covered by the hose before painting. Spray paint and silicone rubber don't always play well together - particularly when you add heat to the equation. Ospho on that area wouldn't matter, it's inert after application.

Thread Information