Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris sl900 "mud" in cylinder. HELP!!!

Hello my name is Brett. I'm new to the site and relatively new to PWC's. (ie, ridden a bunch of my buddies but just bought my first.) I just bought a sl900 off a guy for what I thought was a good price. He said he was riding it in the summer but currently it wouldn't start. He seemed like a pretty trustworthy guy. When I first got it the battery was dead. Charged the battery and it turned over fine. Checked spark, good on all cylinders. Not getting fuel. Dumped a little fuel down each carb and it fired off and ran for a second or 2. This lead me to remove the carbs/fuel pump/fuel lines and clean the carbs/fuel pump and replace all fuel lines. I had also replaced the spark plugs just for good measure. Once I got it all back together, I could see that It was now getting fuel when cranked, but still it wouldn't start. Thinking maybe I had flooded the motor, I pulled the spark plug on the rear cylinder and there was what appeared to be mud on the tip of the plug. I pulled the head and the top of the piston as well as in all the ports of the cylinder there was this same substance. This is as far as I've gotten. Basically I would like to know what may have caused this and what I'm looking at to remedy the problem. Any direction would be great.

Im new here to gix but have had heaps of experience with motors on land and by the sound of that she's a full rebuild job .....any dirt or mud in cylinders will grind the guts out of any motor if theres been more than a few attempts to get it running and the engine has been turned over....Do you know what compression the pots are reading? should be around 130+ psi from what ive been told

As for a trustworthy guy this is a big deal to say nothing about when selling one of these and this guy need shooting with a ball of his own s*%t.

You've come to the right place for advice and genuine people dedicated to helping you with getting these matters sorted out.

As has been said to me and now to you......Welcome to the Hulk

Banned User
    +1
    Can we see pics? We love those here

I haven't checked compression yet. I'm relatively certain this wasn't there a week or so ago when I replaced the spark plugs because it wasn't on the old ones. As soon as I found it I assumed i'd be pulling the motor so I just covered all holes and put it away. I'm going to try to go to work on it in the next few days when I get some time. The cylinders (at visual inspection) still look good so I'm hoping no serious damage was done to them. Just wandering what caused this and what will need to be done. I'll try to get some pics as soon as possible.

the only way I can think this has enter the engine is either through the carbs or fuel tank.....but gee's to drag dirt into an engine(thats if the substance is dirt) on a water craft that doesnt operate in those conditions indicates.....Sabotage.....was this an Ebay buy? and did you get it for a steal.....sounds evil but there are ppl out there who would throw a hand full of sand in just to make sure u got what you paid for

Check the tank out for gritty sediment and the base of the air cleaners for traces of sand or dirt.

When the old ones we're removed we're they wet with fuel or dry? dry plugs can drop the dirt off them as a wet plug(with fuel being freshly ran through) will cause it to paste and stick.

+1
    Is it gritty? or smooth? if its smooth its probly a water\oil slurry. If you get water in the engine & then run it it whips the water oil & fuel into a creamy goo. If it looks light colored you may still be able to clean it out but If its orange & gritty you probly have a rusty crankshaft & will need a full rebuild.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Is it gritty? or smooth? if its smooth its probly a water\oil slurry. If you get water in the engine & then run it it whips the water oil & fuel into a creamy goo. If it looks light colored you may still be able to clean it out but If its orange & gritty you probly have a rusty crankshaft & will need a full rebuild.
    +1 - regardless you're probably gonna have to pull that engine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerguy1000 View Post
    I haven't checked compression yet. I'm relatively certain this wasn't there a week or so ago when I replaced the spark plugs because it wasn't on the old ones. As soon as I found it I assumed i'd be pulling the motor so I just covered all holes and put it away. I'm going to try to go to work on it in the next few days when I get some time. The cylinders (at visual inspection) still look good so I'm hoping no serious damage was done to them. Just wandering what caused this and what will need to be done. I'll try to get some pics as soon as possible.
    Where are you located? Might be somebody near by who can take a look.....

It's been awhile but I've been back at it. I got the motor completely out/disassembled and there was water in the crankcase. I removed the crank and 2 or 3 of the crank bearings won't spin freely. I'm assuming I will need a rebuild?? What is the most economical way to go about this? I don't have much money in this ski and honestly would like to keep it that way since I have 3 other boats, 3 dirtbikes, an expensive girlfriend and a job that take up most of my time already. Oh, and I also need one cylinder/piston because one seems to have decided to self destruct at some point. Is replacing the crank bearings something I can do on this in my garage or will I need professional help?

Banned User
    +1
    The outer bearings you can most likely do. The inner ones need a professional to disassemble and reassemble it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information