+1

removing rub rail....

any tips or tricks for removing my rubrail on my rxp? im doing a colour change on the deck and leaving the bottom black? any tips would help but i figure its farly straight forward?

+1
    Very straight forward. Unscrew the nose bumper and drill out the rivets at the corner pieces. Once the Nose and corners are off, slide out the inserts. If they are stubborn, try tapping them out with a hammer and dowel rod. Slide them out instead of trying to pull them straight out, and you won't risk damaging them. With the inserts out, you can drill out the rivets that hold the rails in place. Just drill the heads off with a 3/16 bit to avoid damaging the rail with the drill. Once the rail is off, tap the rivets the rest of the way through with a drift or an old drill bit.

When replacing the rail be sure to use long rivets. The long ones won't crack the fiberglass when they pop. Slide the inserts back in, don't pound them in.

+1
    What size rivets do you need? (99 gsxl) and do you need a special tool for inserting rivets?

+1
    i don't know about seadoo but on my yamaha i replaced the rub rails with new and used screws and nuts. i travel through locks from time to time and rub rails are bound to get banged up. so i made the old and the new quick interchangeable. in places where there were rivets i drilled all of the way through and put nuts and screws in their place. I refurbished the old rails all of the way around with the kind of stuff used on pickup truck beds and they look great. when i do a river ride with locks i put those on. normal riding i have the new.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elmatta View Post
    What size rivets do you need? (99 gsxl) and do you need a special tool for inserting rivets?
    3/16 by at least 1" you'll need a pop rivet gun capable of handling the shank. I use an air gun because there are so many & I'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbullet View Post
    any tips or tricks for removing my rubrail on my rxp? im doing a colour change on the deck and leaving the bottom black? any tips would help but i figure its farly straight forward?
    You don't have to take anything off...as a matter of fact all you need is a small flathead...It pops right out and all you have to do is pull it out slowly....i've don't it quite a few times.
    replacing the rivets can be a pain.

Thread Information