How to get old fule out of 2000 Yamaha xl 1200 carbs withouth removing them from ski

I recently picked this ski up and it's been a work in progress. First thing I did was replace the plugs, W.Temp sensor, head gasket, and pump housing. The last leg of the journey is to clean all the old fuel from the carbs. Here is my question: Can I disconnect the fuel return line and crank the engine to expell the bad gas from the carbs? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Splash

+1
    No, that would be slow and incomplete. A method I use to prime fresh rebuilds is to unhook the return line at the fuel tank and stick it in a 2 liter pop bottle. Use a REGULATED air source(4 psi max) and pressurize the fuel tank thru the fitting the return line came off of. You might hear the tank expand a bit, that is too much air. Anyway, that air pressure will push fuel thru the lines and carbs. Flush as much as you want, or in case of new or dry carbs, until you don't get air bubbles back. Note you will not flush dirt or corrosion out of the bottom parts of the carbs or pumps, but you will get most all of the old gas out.

+1
    Your going to have to clean the carbs more then likely anyway. Just siphon the tank and add fresh gas and fire it up. When it bogs when you get it to the water it needs a rebuild.

LT1GMC, thats a great suggestion I will take a crack at it this week and let you know how it goes.
    Thank you both for your reply.

Unlike the motorcycle and many outboard type carbs, Waverunners don't have a float bowl holding stale fuel. They pump fuel through as required and can dry out without regular use, leaving a gummed up mess behind. As CrashHard says, you may get a serious problem by simply trying to flush the system, and I love the quote OsideBill always uses, "90% of electrical problems are found in the carburettors"! It's not the easiest job to do, but much easier to do at your leisure in the off-season rather than after your first day of good weather when the ski ran like a dog and ruined your day (I'm speaking from personal experience here!). If you're stripping them yourself, get some good quality rebuild kits and follow the ton of great advice on greenhulk. If you don't feel confident, get OsideBill or one of the other carb Gurus to do it for you. It made my Waverunner XL1200Ltd feel like a new ski after a carb rebuild, with better starting and acceleration. Cheers, dave.

I flushed the carbs and added new gas and the beast came alive! Can't wait to get this thing on the water!

Thread Information