Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Broken spark plug

anyone knows a better way to remove the head ?

Banned User
    +1
    There's only one way unbolt it.!!!

+1
    leave the exhaust manifold attached, mark the timing chain and dont drop it.

+1
    Have you tried everything you could to remove it first? You could possibly save yourself a headahce. I've had a couple do it over the years on my bikes, all were removed with an easy out. Take your time, you might surprise yourself and get it out. It won't hurt to saturate the area with something like PB blaster and let it work it's way into the threads. Actually had one happen at the track and got that one out too and cleaned up the threads with another plug. If you get it out and don't have the tap top clean it up, take an old, or new if it's all you have, plug and cut with a fine cut off wheel grooves perpindicular to the threads. Basically against the threads around the plug. You can even do it with a small file if need be. Just remove enough to give the threads relief to move metal and possibly clean the existing threads in the head. Use alot of antiseize during this and work it in a little at a time, pulling it out and cleaning the threads until you get it all the way back in place. If you get it out, unplug the coil wires and spin the motor over to possibly remove any debris from the top of the piston that may escape out of the plug hole. A little material, if any left, won't hurt on top of the piston. As soon as it fires it will come out of the exhaust...no worries. Hopefully you can get it this way...if not, like they said...unbolt the head. Regardless how you fix it, be sure to use antiseize on the next set you install. Be sure to keep it only on the threads though. Good luck.

+1
    I found this for you. It's a VERY GOOD in depth with pictures and description to remove it. This was this guys first attemp to remove one 7" deep into a head and he said once he laid everything out it only took two minutes. Not to give you false hope, but I honestlyeve you can save yourself alot of time and headache. read this in detail, he makes it very simple and it's very informative...best part is the guy who wrote it was in the same position as you basically.

here is the link...keep us posted... http://www.tigraionline.com/broken_sparkplug.html

+1
    While a couple little metal chips won't due much damage, chips of porcelain will. So if the plug broke and the center porcelain came out, then try the easy out, but if not I'd advise against it.

The same thing just happened to me.
    The spark plug broke inside the head just the part the screws into the cylinder head.
    So i removed the valve cover only, then i found a flat head screw driver long enought and with the right point meaning the head of the screw driver is like a V so I made sure to find one that the point when into the center and once the sides started touching the broken part of the plug I hammered it dead center and made sure the outer part of the screw driver head the top part of the V would not hit or damage the head just enought to wedge into the broken plug nice and tight.
    Then just screw it out, worked for me.
    I saved myself lots of money by doing it this way. Also u can just crank the engine after with valve cover back on so the piston compression can blow any bits out if any, I had none was a clean operation.

Banned User
    +1
    How are people breaking there plugs off so many times ? Knock on wood I have.never even had one tight to come out.
    Are you guys applying silver anti seize ?
    Are you running stock pmb plugs
    How do you tighten them when you install new plugs ?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    spark plugs dodnt break by them selves, the only causes for broken plugs are

A. SIEZED in the threads and they snap when you try to undo .......Reason NO ANTI-SIEZE
    b. OVER TIGHTENED which stretch's them and causes then to shear just below the sealing washer.

Both are owner / servicing error and can be avoided
    Yes their is always the 1 -1000 just shit happens, but if you Tighten them correctly and lube the threads you WILL dramatically reduce the chance of breaking a plug ever again.

once again poor maintenance is the Culprit and not the skies fault

Waz
    I know the reasons. I just wanted to see how they where doing it

It happened to me, I used an easy out beat into a socket with an extension. Works perfectly everytime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information