Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

Anti-Theft security system ideas.'

Hey everyone. Looking ahead to the summer I'm now contemplating ideas on how to secure our ski's. We do a lot of camping and travelling and anticipate that our machines will be coming with us all over the country this summer, but my concern is that in some scenarios they will be left (at least for an hour or three at a time) at public docks without our direct attention.

Now, the crime rate here in Canada is low and I feel fairly safe doing this in most scenarios, but there's always one idiot out there who might think it would be fun to take one of our ski's for a joyride, or worse, and my intent is to stop that.

I'll probably get some sort of basic cable lock setup as a first line of defence - something simple, light, and easy to carry to lock both skis to a secure mooring point. Yes, it doesn't take much to break it, but it will deter 100% of the totally unplanned spur of the moment joyride/theft type scenarios.

Then, I want to install an ignition interlock/keypad/key system of some sort on both machines. No key, no keycode, no engine - simple.

I'm very electrically savvy and installation is of ZERO concern for me, but I'm looking at ideas for systems.

I particularly like this sort of system due to it's simplicity:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEYPAD-COMBI...ht_2273wt_1414

However, it's unclear if the keypad is waterproof. Although it states that it's usable on a motorcycle (or anything, for that matter) nowhere does is state that it's technically waterproof, therefore it might be out unless the keypad was mounted somewhere where it would stay dry which has the potential to make it a PITA to key in the code on every startup. (I have asked the seller for details...)

This "tap in your code" system seems interesting and would be simple since no keys, codes, or anything else would be necessary - just a tap on a specific spot on the hull where the sensor is located (probably on the inside, so out of

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAPLOCK-FING...ht_1027wt_1414

My concern is that I'm not sure how long the relay stays in the closed position once the code is tapped in - it might not be long enough to use this as a functional setup. (Looking for details still...)

I've also contemplated just installing a dirt cheap eBay car-alarm special (probably without the siren) but my concern is that the motion/shock sensors won't be able to be de-tuned enough that every single wave and passing boat isn't going to throw it into alarm mode. Of course, if there's no horn attached, it could be a moot point. That said, these systems would come with a fob (many of which ARE waterproof) and would work as a basic ignition relay cutoff.

Last but not least a good old fashioned key and ignition switch. Easily available, but also easily overrode by anyone who has even the most basic of electrical skills....unless the inner workings of the switch are placed in such an area where accessing the wires would be difficult. Not much issue with water exposure either. It would be effective against the spur of the moment theives, but not against determined ones...but then again, determined theives aren't probably looking at 15 year old machines that close.

Thoughts? What have others done?

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    If I was driving a brand new ski with a value several times what they're actually worth, I'd invest in that...but I think that's a bit overkill for my needs.

Yes, good insurance will be part of my 'security system' as well, before anyone suggests it.

+1
    Pull the ignition plugs off the spark plugs, but rest them on top so it looks like they are on. Maybe you can wire another ignition switch inside the hull so you only you know where it is.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    DeWalt makes a security system that you can program

http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp

Thread Information