Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Noob Questions....

Sorry for potentially posting some very dumb questions but I am mew to all of this and we all have to start somewhere. I tried the search function but it did not answer all my questions

Background:
    I just purchased a completely stock K6 RXT with 25 hours on the hour meter.

Questions:
    • Do I have to rebuild the supercharger IMMEDIATELY or can I ride it for a month or two first? I have not even put it in the water, it seems like such a shame to rip it apart immediately.
    • When riding, will it damage the engine or supercharger if I go WOT from a sitting in the water at an idle position?
    • Can I jump it? Some say yes, other say no, it's too big.
    • If yes, I understand I need to completely let off the throttle in the air. Once back in the water, can I then go back to full throttle again or will all this on/off action and spinning the supercharger up and down cause any damage.
    Thanks for all the help, I appreciate you participating in my educational journey.

Ok well first congrats on your purchase. I would get the ceramic washers out of the supercharger right away if it hasnt been done already. You dont need to rebuild it until the 100 hour serice mark. But change the cermaic clustch washers to the metal ones. If you dont they will fail and take out your eing e oil pump and then your engine. So change the clutch washers out. It will not damage it to go from dile to WOT. This is what they are made for. Just make sure you are in at least 4 feet of water before doing this otherwise you will suck up crap from the bottom of whatever your are riding on. But yes you can go WOT. Yes you can jump your ski. It not to big but it will be harder to jump since its bigger and heavier. But yes you can jump it. Also once you come outta the water let off the throttle other your engine will bounce of the rev limiter and possibly damage to super charger and engine. It wont hurt to let off and then hit it again once your back in the water. So enjoy your new ski and get those washers changed out

Thanks for the reply, I feel better knowing I can basically ride the hell out of it (for a noob) and not damage it. As for the wahsers, they are unfortunately still ceramic. Where I live, we have a 3 month warm weather season followed by 9 months of crappy snowy weather. I was just hoping I could at least ride it for one summer before I pay to have someone rip the motor apart.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Its not like you have to take the whole motor down, the s/c is relatively easy to get to at the back of the motor.

I've heard of the ceramic washers failing well before the time you have on your meter.
    The earliest I've heard of them failing was @ 16 hrs.

Gratz on your new ski, I'm sure you'll have a great time on it; but I would change those washers ASAP.
    "an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremenoob View Post
    Sorry for potentially posting some very dumb questions but I am mew to all of this and we all have to start somewhere. I tried the search function but it did not answer all my questions

Background:
    I just purchased a completely stock K6 RXT with 25 hours on the hour meter.

Questions:
    • Do I have to rebuild the supercharger IMMEDIATELY or can I ride it for a month or two first? I have not even put it in the water, it seems like such a shame to rip it apart immediately.
      No,seeing you are only at 25 hours you do not need a rebuild,BUT as others have stated you need to get them ceramics out ASAP.Also while you are changing out the clutches it would be a good idea to upgrade your spring washers to the McMaster Carr washers as they have better ability to set and maintain slip
    • When riding, will it damage the engine or supercharger if I go WOT from a sitting in the water at an idle position?
      No it wont damage anything BUT you will want to check your slip on your Scer more frequently as this is hard on the clutches
    • Can I jump it? Some say yes, other say no, it's too big.
      Sure..
    • If yes, I understand I need to completely let off the throttle in the air. Once back in the water, can I then go back to full throttle again or will all this on/off action and spinning the supercharger up and down cause any damage.
    Thanks for all the help, I appreciate you participating in my educational journey.

Thanks for the reply guys...I agree that an ounce of prevention is far better than a pound of cure but it just seems so wrong to me to have to rip it apart before I've even been on it. One of the other intimidating factors is that I've never worked on a Seadoo never mind a supercharger.

As for not having to "rebuild" it, if I am replacing the ceramic clutch washers and the spring washers wouldit not make sense to just rebuild the whole thing?? I am only asking because I do not really know what is all involved in the rebuild and was only aware about the clutch washers and bearings that needed to be replaced. If I only replace the wahsers ans bearings, can I do this myself or so I still need special tools?

+1
    no one can answer yes you can ride it or no you cant. i had 65hrs when i changed mine. its a hand greenade waiting to go off. you can change them yourself or send the charger off to jerry, i think its like 120 bucks for him to do it? so think about it this way, 25 min. for you to take charger off, 20 min to put it on, and 120 bucks to not worry about it for a nother 75 hrs. even if money is tight its the winter seson, send it off to jerry or your locall dealer and get just the washers!!! just my opinon. and if you dont good luck with it. and enjoy your new purchase

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    ... a new motor would cost about $3000.00 to 4000.00. Depending on the amount of damage caused when the washers fail, but its usually catastrophic .
    ...in case you needed that info to make your decision.

This was posted today: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170515

Quote Originally Posted by warner0308 View Post
    no one can answer yes you can ride it or no you cant. i had 65hrs when i changed mine. its a hand greenade waiting to go off. you can change them yourself or send the charger off to jerry, i think its like 120 bucks for him to do it? so think about it this way, 25 min. for you to take charger off, 20 min to put it on, and 120 bucks to not worry about it for a nother 75 hrs. even if money is tight its the winter seson, send it off to jerry or your locall dealer and get just the washers!!! just my opinon. and if you dont good luck with it. and enjoy your new purchase
    I know no one can answer when it will or if it won't but I was just trying to determine exactly what you just communicated......it's a hand grenade. I just did not want to pull the supercharger it there was a 10% chance it may go with the low hours I currently have. Unfortunately, it sounds like this is definately not the case.

Not to make it sound the way it does but money is not an issue, I can definately afford it but at the same time I don't want to throw it away either. The one questions I do have though is I was told to have Jerry rebuild the supercharger it would cost roughly 500.00 but you were saying about 120 dollars. Are there two types of rebuilds??

+1
    Washer change out is basically just that and is done on the SC shaft near the gear teeth, and all you're buying are the washers. A full rebuild, however, is a costlier kit (you can see those prices in the online store) and the washer and the bearings are replaced which means your entire SC housing is coming apart.

Pull the SC, have the washers replaced and you should be good to go for all of next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information