Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile Seadoo gtx di - 2002

Hi All, new to the Jetski world, always been into dirt bikes.

Anyhow, good sister gave me a Jetski which they acquired for cheap when someone needed the money bad.

It is the ever wonderful GTX DI - with a couple of problems!

First things I found wrong was the pump was completely screwed, a bar out of the grate had snapped on gone through the pump - whole thing was done for. Anyhow I scored a used pump from correct model etc and serviced bearings etc. All good

Time for first ride - was bascially a shakedown ride and I certainly wasnt expecting any miracles of goodness. I wanted to find it what - if anything needed attention and go from there. When running ski in back yard with water hose connected for cooling it has always started instantly and run perfect.

So we hit the water, max performance of 25mph, plenty misfiring and power was low. Pump seems to work well with no oil leaks. Would pull for a bit then die out pretty much, not stalling but just fade away.

So it was head for home and start changing things etc, new correct number spark plugs, drained every last ml of fuel and refilled with fresh, pulled both rave valves out and cleaned them properly, then headed to freshwater dam for take 2. This time we were up to 35mph - but still with an intermittant miss right off idle, it sort of comes and goes but seems to contribute to low engine performance once the rpm climb. We gained 10mph but needing another 20 yet.

The max attainable rpm is 5900 rpm, engine temp of 87F, speed around 34mph.

The front spark plug is white clean (too lean) when the rear plug (nearest the jet) is about perfect for colour.

Now I have read endlessly where people have completely overhauled the injection system and parts thereof trying to cure this exact (or near to) same problem. Often it has been found that an ignition coil has gone bad but not in a total sense. I have inspected the spark on both cylinders and oddly enough while both seem to be pumping out strong sparks I believe the sparking at this same front plug is slightly variable to the eye.

Interestingly enough when yard testing it will run fine on either cylinder if other cylinder has plug lead disconnected from sparkplug (with lead connected provided spark post)

What is max operational RPM for this craft?

Any ideas?

+1
    your ski should run 6800 +/- 100 or so RPM w/ a good stock impeller.

Does maintance show up on the dash info center?

OK, injectors are in for cleaning and checking today

I also found a lot of moisture in the coil box, so lid has been removed and is being dried out, no corrosion and all plug lead connections appear water tight. The reddish spark could be explained by this situation tho.

I will see what difference the 2 above items make and take it from there, will report back

Jim, TBH I didnt see such a message however I will reconnect the battery and double check
    Last edited by Tradewind; 02-17-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Cool Update

I have now cleaned the injectors, no change in the way the engine runs out of the water but now I have my ear tuned in a bit better to this engine I can pick up the intermittant miss without being in the water.

The miss is there exactly the same as previously, its now time to focus on the coils, I will buy a new one and see what change that makes and it gives me one that is known to be perfect which I can swap between the 2 cylinders and see if I can shift the miss from one cylinder to the other in the second instance, in first instance replace the coil firing the cylinder which isnt performing well

There is no MAINT message on dash - all ok there

Onc step at a time we get there

OK next update, I purchase another coil for the front cylinder - no improvement, still a miss and uneven run at idle. It will run fine on this cylinder alone but a bit uneven, wereas the rear cylinder runs much smoother all the time

I guess its down to the air injector now - any other suggestions people??

+1
    Welcome to the forum. DI engines onces tuned right are very reliable and fuel economic.

With that been told I suggest to make a full check up. You will need a FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE and make a water test to measure if you are having a loss while riding. When testing I usually try to feel the temperature on each cylinder to see if they are working. If one is cooler there might be a problem. That comes to the other test. COMPRESSION . You should be around 125 psi over if not start opening the engine.This particular engine being a direct injection type tend to create moisture on the air injectors and the compressor. You can remove the air line and turn the engine to see if there is any residue of sludge or moisture inside. The compressor has a like a top head with a paper gasket, inside there is a litle diaphragm that when it brakes can give troubles like that. Also get a multimeter and check your charging system. This DI's if not charging well can get a limp mode. Thats all I can remember for now.

Hope this helps. And feel free to ask because here on the forum you will get great advice from guys that work with them all the time.

Cheers.

OK here we go, I had a few more minutes to check on the machine in between everything else

The voltage at the battery when running is around 13.97v - 13.99v and stable. At rest the battery is a solid 13.3volt (new battery)

The rpm at idle on the front cylinder (nearest the steering) only is 1440rpm but a bit unstable

The rpm at idle on the rear cylinder (nearest the pump) only is 1440rpm also but very stable

Next test was full throttle on one cylinder at a time only to see what run quality was like

Front cylinder only - unable to hold any rpm above 4800 with rapid accel/decel, complete cutting out and detonation all part of the show. This was like a 1-2 second at WOT

Rear cylinder only - 6500rpm and pretty smooth. This was like a 1-2 second at WOT

I also removed a RAVE valve cap/spring and give it a quick rev to above 4000rpm and the RAVE opened instantly on the front cylinder, operating smoothly and freely on rear cylinder also. All good there

I can do a compression test later, fuel pressure testing a bit more of a challenge.

Its likely to be coming down to an air injector or fuel injector fault on the front cylinder at this stage. Although the injector was ultrasonically cleaned they didnt have the apparatus to flow check it. I have read recently that you have to confirm the flow test or the injector can still be bad.

Another test I could do is swap front fuel injector to the rear and perform the same 1 cylinder power tests which provides load due to the pumping of the other cylinder

Next update

The cylinder compression has been tested with a very solid 130psi on both cylinders - precisely!

Now to fuel pressure and swapping fuel injectors

What sort of fault do air injectors give?

The now and again detonation detected today is a clear indication of lean fuelling on the front cylinder, that is the logic driving me to a fault at the fuel side now

Next update 2

I have swapped the front fuel injector to the rear and performed the above tests - with exactly the same results! The front cylinder misses and detonates, runs fine for a few thousand revs etc as exactly as it did before

We have to now have a dud air injector - its the only part I have not done anything with or cross tested

OK - first

How do I keep moisture out of the air system

Where in the world does the compressor intake its air from - cant see it anywhere

I can source some DI air injectors if I recall so will get onto that supply on Monday

Other opinions welcome

Just FYI, the air injectors is usually the ones that goes bad, not the fuel injectors. (they are under a lot of heat stress...) Try swapping out the air injectors and see what you get. (I know, it is a pain as you need to remove the fuel rail...)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information