saltydog

1998 xpl rectifier... external?

es i know the factory 98 xpl 951 has a built in rectifier... i have narrowed my next issue(from fuel) down to the built in rectifier..

i will explane a bit.

i started troubleshooting my used ski(was told it was carb related) upon purchase.
    so i had a guy replace the internal carb filters/fresh rebuild kit. however he did not change the tempo lines... ski ran fine last season till i started getting another issue.

now i am in the same boat.. i need to pull the carbs again... clean them and redo the whole fuel system..

but i have also played with it in the driveway(on a hose) and i really think my wot problem is really the rectifier.i say this because of the wot problem and the odd start pulse probem along with testing for ac across battery. with that said i know its an internal unit mpem... but have seen a place that offers a external unit with harness... however they are no longer selling them..

so my 2 questions are.

what size fuel line do i need for the 1998 xpl...(i have herd 2 diffrent sizes i want clarification)
    where can i get an external rectifier setup? links please..

+1
    There are 2 different sizes. The inlet lines are 5/16" and the returns are 1/4". Dont forget to change out all the grey lines that go between the carbs, it is 1/4" as well...

saltydog
    well i found a place that offeres the kit

http://www.osdparts.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=8

now where would i check to see which part number it replaces and if i have one that is compatable before i order.?

+1
    Check your battery voltage with the ski running opposed to it shut off. That regulator will not work...

+1
    VERY rare to find the internal regulator fail on your ski-- check your stator...

I had one phase of the internal reg fail on a 98 xp. Symptoms were flattening the battery, poor power and I think blowing mpem fuse.

Remove the earth lead form the battery and measure the resistance from lead to battery negative terminal. With NOTHING activated on the ski the resistance should be infinite i.e no current flowing. If the resistance is about 20 ohms the rectifier has failed and the battery is discharging through the coil which has a resistance of about 20 ohms.

with mine the battery would discharge in hours.

Thread Information