Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 oil pump disabled

I just picked up an 99 Ultra 150. The ski runs and the guy said that he removed the gears that run the oil pump. He ran mixed gas and it runs fine. If you get rid of the oil pump there is no way to oil the balance gears . He had the engine apart said that the gears didnt do anything but run the oil pump so he took them out. I guess that would eliminate the need to oil the rebalancers.
    I have seadoo's and have rebuilt lots of the rotax. But I have never delt with Kawasaki.

If any one has any suggestions, feel free to comment.

Quentin
    Smiville, TX.

+1
    I have mine removed (2005 stx-r) as well with block off plates for going on 5 years. The front balancer gear housing takes 200ml of oil and rear balance gear takes 20ml...never have had any issues with the set up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I just picked up an 99 Ultra 150. The ski runs and the guy said that he removed the gears that run the oil pump. He ran mixed gas and it runs fine. If you get rid of the oil pump there is no way to oil the balance gears . He had the engine apart said that the gears didnt do anything but run the oil pump so he took them out. I guess that would eliminate the need to oil the rebalancers.
    I have seadoo's and have rebuilt lots of the rotax. But I have never delt with Kawasaki.

If any one has any suggestions, feel free to comment.

Quentin
    Smiville, TX.
    If you run the kawi 1200 without the balancers you will tear the motor mounts apart.

I have picked up the gears that he took out today and the one that runs the pump is shreaded. He said that the gear on the crank looks the same, so no going back to a gear driven pump, not with
    this engine anyway.

I havent put this thing in the water yet so I dont know what she is gonna do like she is.

+1
    Ooo I'm sorry I missed read that! What splishsplash said is true! I read post lil to quick thought was only talking about pump and pumps gear. You have to have the balancer gears on both ends as without them and or misaligned will cause heavy vibration and danger to occur. I ment on my post I have no oil pump but have block off plates with oil filled in housings. Don't run that motor until those issues are addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    If you run the kawi 1200 without the balancers you will tear the motor mounts apart.
    Do you remember my posts about the balancers and the tearing up of the mounts? I have the videos to prove the importance of the balancer gears. I remember you partook in those threads SplishSplash.

I think Ill spend the 400 for the new gears and reinstall them. The gear on the crank shouldn't be hard to remove and replace. What so yall think?

Find a service manual online as there are many links to free ones. The front is real easy to replace just make sure the alignment marks line up correctly. The rear one you have to split the crank case open then re seal. If you follow the procedures in the service manual you should be good to go and it will make it pretty easy. Are you sure the rear one is bad? Check the bearings while your in there. MAKE SURE THE BALANCER GEARS ARE ALIGNED PROPERLY!!!! I can't stress that enough as you will rip through motor mounts like nobody's business.

yea i got one ( service manual) . The gear that runs the pump is toast. I'm assuming the crank gear is too. The other balancer gear is perfect.

Real easy job then. you will see a dot at the edge of each gear. Make sure when you put everything back together and you rotate the crank, that the dot on the edge of each gear eventually line up perfectly with each other. Inspect the O ring on the Stator cover you removed and make sure you fill the case back up with 200ml of TCW-3 rated oil. You will also want to make sure the oil lines are replaced and bled for the feeds to the carbs and that they are in the proper order on the pump. There is a screw on the top of the oil pump for bleeding once you connect the main feed to the oil tank. Make sure you run a tank of 50:1 premix to make sure any small air bubbles in the oil lines have passed through.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information