NA 4 Tec running rough

Hi guys,

I took the ski out yesterday after not riding it for about two months and was expecting a good day out but that's not to be.

It fired up fine and on idle it also seemed to run fine. After getting out of the no wake zone I started to increase the throttle and started to notice the engine was hesitant and running rough. At full throttle I could only get a maximum or 5,500RPM. Engine note sounded rough with a deep BRRRP BRRRRP BRRRP sound to it and a rattling noise from the engine. Almost like it's getting flooded. So I called it a day and went home.

About two months prior I changed the oil, oil filter, and fogged the engine with Bombardier storage lube. I fogged the engine by spraying through the fuel injectors and also through the spark plugs into the combustion chamber.

I also noticed after getting back that the oil level was over filled so I drained some of it out. I started the engine on the hose and gave it a few revs and I noticed that I could get it to max revs. The rattling noise from the engine is gone but the engine still doesn't sound right and every few seconds it makes what sounds like a back fire. Basically a "Thud" sound every few seconds.

Anyone know what could be my problem? I understand that over filling the oil could cause me to loose revs but what about the rough running engine? Could I have fouled the spark plugs when I sprayed the storage lube into the combustion chamber?

Thoughts and help please!! Thanks.

Change the spark plugs. This is a common issue, especially after fogging. On my lake, I see tons of 4-TEC's every Spring stopped on the water with pissed off owners (my lake house is just down from a ramp) It is always either bad spark plugs or bad gas.

Thanks Dood, I was starting to think it's the spark plugs as well. I'll change new plugs and see how it goes. Cheers.

New plugs should fix it.

+1
    I also noticed after getting back that the oil level was over filled so I drained some of it out
    That was your problem. 4-tecs lose all kinds of power when the oil is over filled. Make sure the oil is half way between the bends on the dip stick. It wont hurt to change your plugs as well...

+1
    change the spark plugs then see how its doing. If its doing no better put some new gas in it. the overfilled oil will lose RPM's but not 1000 or anything like that, and it shouldn't cause sputtering or anything like you were describing.

Thread Information