Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question RXPX Loss of power <5000 RPM

Hi all,

I'm hoping the collective knowledge of the forum can help me out with a bit of troubleshooting that my stock 2008 RXPX currently needs.

Story is as follows:
    Saturday morning I notice my ski's beeper has gone quiet, it makes a noise but only about a quarter of the intensity of normal. I assume the beeper is broken and am quietly happy that I don't have an annoying noise any more.
    Jumping small swell later in the day and my ski suddenly stops. Assuming the key has slipped off I reseat it and try to start her up only to find that the next two attempts I get nothing, no crank at all. A PXXXX fault code pops up but disappears before I can remember it.
    On the third attempt the ski starts as usual and off I go, it feels a little sluggish but I brush it off on the choppy conditions. I ride for another 10-15min before heading back to the ramp. At the ramp I start the ski up again to load it onto the trailer and a 12V low warning flashes up.
    Subsequent starts (expelling salt water at ramp and flushing with fresh water at home) don't have any 12V issues.
    I charge the battery Saturday night in preparation for Sunday's ride...

Sunday is a beautiful day, perfect weather and water conditions. Except for one problem - My ski has no power below ~5000RPM, she just can't launch herself out of the water like usual and she sounds louder than usual. Both symptoms were confirmed when my friend who rides a 2009 RXPX had a ride for comparison.
    Rev-wise it seems ok, not revving quickly or hitting redline, just a significant lack of 'punch'. I assumed at this point my charger had gone so we headed back to the ramp. Again, I got a 12V low issue when starting the ski to put it back on the trailer, and again, subsequent starts had no issues (maybe she doesn't like leaving the water haha). Strangely this time the beeper decided to come back to full volume but has since gone quiet again.

My ski has been at the mechanic for the last 2 weeks. So far the following has been determined:
    • Supercharger is slipping at 7nm. While below the normal operating range of 8-11, the mechanic advises that this shouldn't be causing a significant loss of power as described.
    • No hoses are damaged.
    • No fault codes have been stored.
    • Battery has been load tested and is fine
    • No debris is blocking the impeller/pump
    The mechanic believes it could be a problem caused by the injectors not getting enough power so is currently investigating the potential cause of an electrical drain occurring, a painful process but one be feels is right given the beeper is also having problems.

In summary i'm faced with the following:
    • An unmodified ski that randomly cut-out in the water
    • A lack of power below ~5000RPM
    • A louder than usual engine
    • A SC slightly out of normal operating range (7nm)
    • A clear pump and undamaged impeller
    • An intermittent 12V low warning
    • A perfectly health battery
    • An intermittent beeper
    • A ski that has been in a workshop for almost 2 weeks
    Has anyone been faced with similar issues? If so, what is the most likely cause of my problems and therefore where should I suggest the next steps be for troubleshooting?

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Last edited by maxy0987; 02-13-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added info

+1
    A bad rectifier will give you 12v lows since it's not charging the system any longer and also throw random beeps on the buzzer (as this is what mine did)I'm not sure about the low rpm's if it can be connected or not.. I didn't have that issue. Hopefully this will help good luck. Oh yah change spark plugs. One of the first steps I do when Diagnosing something sketchy.

+1
    First I think you need to find a new mechanic.
    If it sounded louder than normal than you probably have a hose loose or burnt.
    Take it for a ride with the seat off, if it gets some power back then a hose is bad.
    Your SC is slipping also.
    How many hours do you have on the ski?

Oh, and welcome to GreenHulk.

+1
    Did you run in any shallow water perhaps?? If so you may have a damaged wear ring as well.

+1
    Check for lose or bad ground wires???Bad connections???

+1
    This may not be your situation but one time Troy had replaced plugs on my P-X and all my power returned. I kept procrastinating on changing out plugs .......all power returned rite after! (thanks Troy and Jeremy)
    ANOTHER SITUATION I had was a battery going dead. I had the impression that our skis only needed the batty on initial start up but I was wrong and just needed a new battery. At that time, my 12v warning was flashing too.

canadian iceman
    +1
    if it is louder...then you have something else going on ....check you intake manifold out... as it may have split or cracked....make sure your ground cables are clean with grease on them to keep salt water intrusion, try a completely different battery as I have had them seperate in rough conditions....good luck...oh ya and as mentioned...pull the plugs and see what they look like and replace them all...they tell tons ...cheers CR

Thanks everyone. To answer a few of the questions:
    Troy - The hoses have been checked and they appear fine. Although i'm aware the charger is slipping, i've been advised that that much slip wouldnt be the cause of the problem and a rebuild won't solve my issues. Given my ski only has 54 hours on it, i'd like to hold off doing a rebuild unless absolutely necessary.
    Ocman - Wear ring is apparenlty ok, again, one of the first things we checked.
    TtrahRXPX - Plug were replaced less than 10 hours ago, although i admit, i haven't checked them, i'd be surprised if they are the issue.

I'll be calling the mechanic later today to get an update, i'll suggest some of the above ideas and see what sort of a response i get back from him.

Thanks all, i'll keep you posted as more info comes to hand.

+1
    What stuck out for me in your OP was that you said it sounds louder than normal. That usually means there is a SC or exhaust hose loose and if it where me I would rebiuld the SC, 7nm is about 5 ft lbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    What stuck out for me in your OP was that you said it sounds louder than normal. That usually means there is a SC or exhaust hose loose and if it where me I would rebiuld the SC.
    IF it sounds louder it can be the exhaust too,HAve him check to see if you didnt melt the Exhaust temp sensor....It will throw a code and cause the ski not to run...IF it is melted then you have to figure out why it lacked water to cool it..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information