R&D Intake - To fill or not to fill??

I just bought a new R&D intake grate to replace the old one I busted at the river last year. When I went to put it on this weekend I realized that my old one (which I purchased used last year) has a rubber plug type thing that fills in the hollow on one end of the grate. Looks like it's supposed to keep water out. It was wet inside so it looks like maybe it wasn't doing it's job. Does anyone know anything about this? What's the purpose? Should I remove the plug from the old grate and put it in the new one? If I do that, should I attempt more sealant around the edges to keep the water out completely? Or does it really serve no purpose and I should skip it??

Any help would be appreciated...just not sure whethere to use the filler for the end or not....

Thanks!

+1
    Sounds like the old intake had a pump seal kit in it. Another way to check is to look at the base of the transom plate and you should see similar looking plugs where the two ends meet. Those are designed to help keep air pockets out of the pump inlet area to reduce cavitation. I would pop them out of the old one and see how they fit. If they appear too small or damaged, I would replace them and they are about $80 for the entire kit.

Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    Sounds like the old intake had a pump seal kit in it. Another way to check is to look at the base of the transom plate and you should see similar looking plugs where the two ends meet. Those are designed to help keep air pockets out of the pump inlet area to reduce cavitation. I would pop them out of the old one and see how they fit. If they appear too small or damaged, I would replace them and they are about $80 for the entire kit.
    Thanks so much for the info...that helps tremendously. I think when I bought the last one used, I assumed they all came like that. The old plugs do pop right out and appear to be in great shape so I am going to reuse them. Do I need to seal them somehow? When I pulled the large plug from the hollow end it was wet...does it matter if some water gets in there? It wasn't much...just enough to keep it damp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaFox View Post
    Thanks so much for the info...that helps tremendously. I think when I bought the last one used, I assumed they all came like that. The old plugs do pop right out and appear to be in great shape so I am going to reuse them. Do I need to seal them somehow? When I pulled the large plug from the hollow end it was wet...does it matter if some water gets in there? It wasn't much...just enough to keep it damp.
    I wouldn't sweat the dampness. It should fit fairly snug. If you can rotate the grate upside down and they fall right out then I would maybe use some silicone and seal them up a little better. Do both the grate and transom have them or just your old grate? Where the grate meets the shoe on the transom there will be cavities that could use the plugs as well. The reason I am asking is if you bought a used intake and it came with the plugs in it already, there might be a chance you are only using half of the pump seal kit and may want to think about buying another kit if the transom doesn't have them in there as they are not factory included.

Thanks a bunch. The transom seal is in place so the ski must have come with it so I have the whole kit. Just didn't know it Really appreciate the advice.

Thread Information