Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Whats your go to top water rod and reel?

The sand bass and Hybrids will be spawning soon and its time to replace my old 6' rod and spinning reel. I have been thinking about stepping up to a baitcaster. I have a 6500 Abu that I use for jigging the bottom but I need a new rod and reel for top water. I throw a lot of roadrunner type lures and even a lipless crankbait. When they are chasing bait in the spring it gets pretty exciting. I hate dry firing my spinning reel, you know when you forget to open the bell. Yea I look like a clown when I snap off my lure. I figured the baitcaster release is one handed maybe I won't do that any more. So what do you Ya'll use?

Not much on top water. I do free line some soft plastics, maybe walk a sluggo or a rapala, maybe rip a big bladed spinner bait every once in a while. Buzz baits work on tv...never had much luck with them or jitterbugs.

My go-to warm weather shallow presentation rig is a 6'6" Med Shimano Scimitar with a Daiwa Jupiter Z 1505T...it's got that one finger bail trigger.

No muss, no fuss.

+1
    I am leaning towards a Shimano Curado and maybe a BPS IM7 or Falcon Bucoo. My wallet says Berkley or ugly stick though...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    What do you mean step up to a bait caster....wait till you get a backlash....a lot easier to retie a lure versus undoing a backlash....

+1
    Yea thats why I mentioned that I have an Abu. I mostly drop straight down with that one but I get brave every now and then and cast out with it. I only got a couple small birds nest all season. I think other than practice it takes a higher end reel to keep from having that happen to often. At least thats what Shimano wants you to believe.

+1
    If you are going to be throwing top water Id stick with a a spinning reel....usually if the bail closes up on you something is wore out in the reel....

Quote Originally Posted by Newcastle View Post
    Yea thats why I mentioned that I have an Abu. I mostly drop straight down with that one but I get brave every now and then and cast out with it. I only got a couple small birds nest all season. I think other than practice it takes a higher end reel to keep from having that happen to often. At least thats what Shimano wants you to believe.

I bought a Shimano Calcutta 15 years ago or so. Bragged to my B-i-L on how well this thing was gonna help me catch fish. First cast had a 100yds of spider wire hopelessly bound up into a mess. He just grinned and kept on using his Zebco 202. I calmly put it down and used my old Johnson Century spin caster for the rest of the day.

I did eventually learn how to use the reel. Along with thumb pressure...the drag adjustment is key.

+1
    Hey Newcastle when you say Hybrids do you mean White Bass / Striper mix?

+1
    I believe thats what they are. I know they are sterile. Limit is min 18" and I have caught up to 25"ish.They don't get a lot bigger than that. I don't know how they are related to those monsters Brian catches though. Salt water fresh water cousins maybe?

+1
    Yeah thats what they are, they stock them here in Tennessee also, around here they average around 8-15 lbs, the record here I think is like 23 lbs.....I have caught one that was a little over 19 lbs....they also stock Stripers here too, they adapt well to fresh water.... the record here in Tennessee is 65 lbs...biggest Ive caught is a little over 44 lbs.......

Heres a little film a buddy of mine made last year....... ......... I got my own Go Pro this year.......

That rod and reel set up is an Okuma Reel AV 65a (have used it for 2 seasons) and a $29 Ugly Stick 7 ft Catfish Rod (have used it for 7 seasons), 17 lb Suffix line and 1 oz Jig and a Pearl Zoom Fluke.....I have used it for top water down below the Dam, but mostly use it with the 1 oz Jigs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information